Data transfer between iPhone 5 and Macmini (2010)

Reaction score
I hope this is the right thread...

Finally got an iPhone 5 and found I can't exchange data like I can with a camera - copying, transferring photos back and forth etc.. All it took before was a USB connection, but for the life of me I cannot get the computer to recognize the iPhone or the iPhone to recognize the Mac???

I connect my phone to the mini and nothing happens. Even my old Verizon flip phone (traded it away in the deal) was able to be seen, albeit, unable to function. My camera (Nikkon coolpixS4) and iPhoto work fine, and I thought so well connected products would make the connection and manipulations of data would simple as Apple pie?

So, why aren't' my Mac and iPhone sympatico?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know exactly what you're doing so what I say may be redundant.....

Open iTunes on your 2010 Mac Mini (and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed). After opening iTunes, attach your iPhone 5 via its USB connector and it should be recognized in iTunes under "devices". You might have to turn off the phone and on again before it's picked up.

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Okay, I have a 2010 Mac Mini, 2.4GHz, Memory 8GB, OS 10.6.8 with iTunes 9.

iTunes 9 opens a video that demonstrates connecting iPhone 5 with fabulous options. So, one might be assured that their iPhone 5 would be easily connect. Considering the relationship of the software and hardware how could you not expect to see your iPhone in the iTunes sidebar - no matter the application. It should appear on the desktop or sidebar like any connection, but it doesn't.

The suggestion to install the "latest" version of iTunes to make a USB connection suggests that my iTunes 9, with the video showing exactly what I want, no longer functions - why?

Taking the advice to update iTunes has now created an application (iTunes 11) that will not launch and I suspect, is interfering with my iTunes 9 - thus preventing me from making an iPhone-iTunes connection. The iTunes 9 video shows a seamless exchange of precisely what I should be getting, but for some reason the newly installed iTunes 11 will not launch and also seems to be preventing iTunes 9 from launching without difficultly.

So, why can't I get iPhone 5 and OS 10.6.8 and iTunes 9 do exactly what they were created to do?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
According to Apple you need at least iTunes 10.7 to sync with the iPhone 5. So iTunes 9 is a no go with that phone.See here

It sounds like iTines 11 might not have installed properly. What happens when you try to launch it.

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
OS 10.7, as just about any OS update, affects other applications that run into unwarranted expenses to update other application or them too.

I'm disappointed with the current heavy hand of Apple on its providers. Frankly, I do not trust Apple any more than I do Comcast and funneling all computer activity through iTunes/Apple Store has become uncomfortable. So, I dislike upgrading.

As far as iTunes goes, I could live without it, and here we go again trashing apps that used to make using a computer or phone fun and interesting. Lately, it seems an endless flow of gadgets so poorly designed I spend most of my time trying to keep every things operating efficiently.

Don't bother to respond, I see the writing on the wall. More money down a rat hole.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not necessarily. iTunes 11 works with OS 10.6.8. The simplest solution seems to me to be solving why it won't launch properly.

I wasn't talking about upgrading the OS. Read the post again. the iPhone 5 requires iTunes 10.7 or higher. Since iTunes 11 runs with your OS no OS update should be needed.

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
I apologize for my confusion, but I don't find any other iTunes download other than the 11 version?

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Found the iTunes 10.7 version, thanks, however, I am being prohibited from installing it because I have a "newer version installed" - the iTunes 11 that will not launch.

I see no way to uninstall iTunes 11 or my iTunes 9 without losing hours of music that I had to manually type names for. iTunes 9 and 11 do not appear anywhere in spite of the fact that I can get my music to play with my previously added 9 version. The icons exist, but all I get is a flash on the screen and no launch.

I don't mind scouring the computer and deleting everything iTunes, but I don't want to see my music lost in the effort.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might take a while to puzzle out exactly what is happening here. Installing iTunes should not hurt access to your music but having a backup certainly wouldn't hurt.

Do you have second account on your Mac? If so, does iTunes launch from there?

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
I suspect that iTunes 11 is incompatible with OS 10.6.8 and that is why it will not launch. The only other possibility is that both iTunes version have corrupted each other. Either way, I don't see any way out other than cleaning out iTunes and try to back up my music.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Both iTunes 11.0.5 (MBPro) and iTunes 11.4 (iMac) runs well with both our Macs running OS X SL 10.6.8. No problems at all.

Haven't bothered syncing any iPads to the MBPro, but they work well with the iMac and running iOS 7.1.2.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to Apple's information iTunes 11 should work with 10.6.8. Hav you tried launching it while logged into another account on your Mac? That would give us a clue wither a corrupted file might be the issue.

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Crafty Apple

Apple seems to have a new policy of forcing their vendors and suppliers to follow their lead by scrubbing versions of apps completely off the web.

iTunes 11 version seems to be missing and any site offering iTunes 11 downloads simply has a link to Apple which now only offers iTunes 12 downloads, which requires OS 7.

For those of us that suffer loss of apps and what not with every forced upgrade of OS or, in this instance, iTunes cleverly forcing iPhone 5 owners into OS 7 - like it or not.

If anyone knows where there might be an iTunes 11 download please post it.

Pop up when trying to launch iTunes 10.7: The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.2 or later. Go to iTunes com to download the latest version of iTunes.

The version you will find is iTunes 12.0.1 - which requires OS 7 or up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Everybody's been a victim of these kinds of "upgrades" by Explorer, Mozilla, Apple and others that force their customers to upgrade by disappearing all previous versions and degrading support for existing. It's a standard corporate boost to inflate profits and make investors and stockholders very happy.

M

MacInWin

It's a standard corporate boost to inflate profits and make investors and stockholders very happy.
Since the upgrade was free, I'm not sure how much it inflates profits, but hey, whatever you want to believe...

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Hallelujah! Finally got my iPhone 5 to be recognized by iTunes 11, but I can't do anything like move photos back and forth or sync with apps on the computer?

M

MacInWin

When you open iTunes, you should see that the iPhone is connected. On the tab with your iPhone, there should be a sync button. That's how you trigger transfers. On each tab (movies, music, etc), you will find settings for what will be synced. Set what you want and then click the sync button.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you trying to sync? The photos can be transferred to your computer by attaching the iPhone 5 to your Mac via the USB connector and then open the Image Capture app on your Mac. You can also do the same thing with iPhoto.

Other things like music and videos are synced from your Mac via iTunes to your iPhone. You can not move them the other way without special software such as iExplorer.

OP
Dustball
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and for the reminding me about Image Capture. iTunes was the problem. I can move the photos off the iPhone, but I can't put a photo on the iPhone? That's not very nice. I had a GzOne "Rock" before this iPhone5 and and with its simm card I could get my computer to at least allow me to open the files and manipulate to your heart's content. No doubt the door is locked against the possibility of my Apple iPhone 5 being able to upload my music? Guess the phone wasn't really the worth I thought it would be.

This should not be an issue, but it's beginning to dawn on me that this phone is just a cash register.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.