Data only sim

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a silly question.

My son has an iPhone 8, which hes not using much anymore. I use my phone as a satnav but of course it has a small screen.

I wondered if I could use my data SIM from my MIFI dongle (something I don't use much anymore) in the iPhone and connect through carplay to get a bigger screen when using it as a satnav?

The other thing I'd like to do with the iPhone is stream music.

Are both options available using a data only sim?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Mac-Forums mobile app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Why not ask your MIFI dongle provider? As it's their property you are paying to use.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Assuming the SIM is compatible between the MiFi dongle and the iPhone, yes you could use that in the iPhone just for data and no cellular functionality. But at Bob suggested, you should validate that with your provider.

If this works, all data functions will be available on the phone, so video/audio streaming, GPS navigation, etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks both, I hadn't considered asking the providor as I didn't they would care as if I inadvertently did make a call they will make money (I can't as I've set a credit limit of £0.00).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Mac-Forums mobile app

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a Data only SIM, you likely couldn't even make a call even if you wanted to.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Texts or iMessage messages? Are they green bubbles or blue bubbles? If blue, it isn't using the cellular network, but rather the data network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.