Data Migration does not include creation date

Reaction score
I bought the new 27" iMac with 5k retina display 10 days ago. I took my PC to the store for data migration. When I got it home, I realized that the date of creation or the date last modified for my documents is not there. Everything is showing date modified as the date everything was copied to the Mac, February 13. Then they are all listed in alphabetical order. I went in for a one-to-one and the tech I worked with agreed that there is no data about when the documents were last modified by me. It takes forever for me to find documents I want.

The technicians say to just go to Finder and type in what I want. That doesn't help if I don't know how it is titled. If someone sent me a document, it is stored under the title they used and I can't find it because I don't know what the title was. I need to look back as far as 2007 to find some documents and can't find them. I have 1600 documents just for one project I work on. It would be much easier if they could be sorted by date created or modified.

My nephew believes that the data migration could have been accomplished by using the date of creation or modification. I haven't had the computer for the 14 day period so I am about to return it for a refund. If I can get the computer wiped of all documents and photos, can Apple do the data migration and include the date last modified by me?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the column headers (any one) in a Finder window. This will give you the option to add some columns, many of which deal with dates. See if one of those helps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand why you can no longer find your documents? The title or name of the document has not changed because of the migration has it? Perhaps you had your documents sorted on the PC by date (creation date) or in dated folders?

In any event, there is no way to avoid modifying the creation date when you migrate documents from a PC to a Mac. The migration process considers all the documents as newly created on the Mac. Also, do you still have the original documents on your PC?

OP
L
Reaction score
I do have the original documents on the PC and that's what I'm using instead of the iMac because I cannot find what I am looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.