Data Drive on desktop in Big Sur

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I have a new-ish Mac Unit that basically launched my OS from High Sierra to Big Sur, so I missed whatever transitional information or organization that would have been in Mohave and Catalina.
In Big Sur, I have 2 drives showing mounted on the desktop (Mac HD and Mac HD-Data), both representing the one physical drive that is installed in the unit.
Can someone provide me an explanation of what is going on, and what this replication is supposed to achieve?
I am wondering if it is a more modern, sophisticated expression of the Mac's "virtual disk" (I think the old OS's called it "RAM disc")?
Many thanks for reading,
DLC

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you move from macOS High Sierra or earlier up to macOS 11 Big Sur (BS), the filing system automatically changes from HFS+ (aka Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)) - to Apple File System, APFS.

In addition the Mac's Hard Drive is "divided" into two parts:

One is for system and is called Macintosh HD. This is locked & encrypted so no one can meddle with it.

The other is for all your data of any kind and is appropriately called Macintosh HD - Data, which you obviously can control yourself.

These two "parts" (actually called Volumes) are contained within the Apple Container and work as one.

So nothing to worry about. Keep enjoying the Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ian is correct, up to a point. The system is supposed to merge the two Volumes into one, named Macintosh HD, with four folders inside, /System, /Library, /Applications, and /Users. The first three are on the protected disk and the fourth is where you can read and write and in which you find your Home folder (The one with your name and a house icon in Finder). So you should NOT see two Volumes on the desktop, just one.

Is this new Mac truly new, or just new-to-you? If you got it from someone else, they may have messed with the OS and created this mess. You really don't want to have those two visible on the desktop. It can, and most likely will, lead to issues down the road.

If it's a used system, I would suggest a fresh install of macOS from Apple. But let us know whether or not it's brand new or used and we can give better advice.

In general, it is always much better to reinstall the OS on any used system. That way you know beyond any doubt that the previous user didn't leave behind anything you don't want.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ian and Jake,
Thank you so much for responding with pertinent information regarding this issue (more of a curiosity than an issue, really). It was good to hear, as when I view volumes in Disk Utility, your info allows me to know which is the actual disc of the two (or three) representative volumes. My apologies for taking so long to get back and resolve the thread - just been busy!
The Mac is new to me, being a 2017 build of the 2013 Mac Pro (coffee-can) - it came with Big Sur on it, but I still went ahead and put a fresh copy of the OS on the Mac. That is when I noticed the odd expression of replicate volumes (gee, I do wish it had actually doubled my SSD space!). Not soon after, I decided for the time being that I needed to back down to Catalina, as the music software I use has, under its support, not yet caught up. Still, a fresh install of Catalina yielded the same results, except NOW a fresh boot yields three mounted volume icons: Mac Pro HD-Data, Mac Pro-Data, and Update (!) - as quickly as the desktop is mounted, I highlight and eject the last two, with no impact on my session work. Finding a way to tell the OS to squelch the mounting of these two (imho) pointless pseudo-volumes would be very useful indeed!

I wonder if the SSD still some how remembers them as partitions from previous OS installs; after all I formatted but never zeroed out the SSD drive (can we still do that with the latest expressions of Disk Util?).
I liken the "Mac Pro-Data" volume to a practice I normally do with desktops: create an alias of the "Documents" folder (from my Admin account) and place it under the HD icon - seems to me to be something akin to that gesture.

Thank you again for chiming in with your sage advice.
Regards,
DLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ok, a little more tutorial is needed. The new Apple disk structure is called APFS and it changes everything about how drives are managed. Let's start with a new drive and you partition it for APFS for the first time. What happens is that a Container is created which is the size of the drive. Inside that Container is one Volume or more, that can be mounted as drives. Starting with Catalina and continuing in Big Sur, there were two Volumes by default--Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. The system was put on Macintosh HD Volume, the User data on the Macintosh HD - Data Volume. Finder then "glued" these two to show as a single mounted drive, named "Macintosh HD" to be like it used to be in HFS+ (before APFS). The biggest difference in the Container/Volume approach is that all of the Volumes share whatever space is free in the Container as they need. So if you look at the Volumes independently, each will show the same free space and the sum of all volumes will exceed the size of the Container, but as space is used ALL of the Volumes will see the same reduction in space available. No more partition size limitations!

OK, so what happened is that your drive had BS on it and had some issues. Not a problem yet. But then you decided to reinstall BS. I would bet that you didn't repartition (recreate the Container and Volumes) but just directed the install to Macintosh HD. The installation then created a new volume called Macintosh HD - Data and Finder, on the Desktop, merged the NEW Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data into one icon, named Macintosh HD. The third partition, the OLD Macintosh HD - Data was also mounted as it was not merged, so now you have what you originally described-one icon named Macintosh HD and another named Macintosh HD - Data on the Desktop.

Now you decided to go back to Catalina, but again I bet you didn't repartition the hardware, but just installed Catalina to Macintosh HD Volume. Cat then created a NEW NEW Volume called Macintosh HD - Data. Then Finder and Desktop merged Macintosh HD and the NEW NEW Macintosh HD - Data to be on the desktop, but the NEW Macintosh HD - Data and the OLD Macintosh HD - Data are still there, so at boot time all of those Volumes mount as well (and all of them are taking up drive space, by the way). And that is how you ended up where you are right now.

So, how to "fix" this? Well, there is an easy way to do it. Go ahead and reboot, let all of the volumes get mounted. Check in Macintosh HD on the desktop that there is your home folder and everything you want/need is there. Then right click on each of the older Macintosh HD - Data icons on the Desktop and then Rename. Rename them so you can tell which is which later on. I would look at each of those Volumes to see if there is anything in them that isn't in the merged Volume now in Macintosh HD on the Desktop. Assuming you are now ready to move on and all your files are safely in the NEW NEW Macintosh HD - Data (where Finder shows the house icon), then open Disk Utility and on the top bar of the window click on Show, and select "Show All Devices." Now you should see something like this in the left column of Disk Utility:
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.39.32 PM.png

The top line is the hardware, the SSD itself. Below that is the structure on the drive. Note that it has Container disk1, which is the Container for the drives. There is Macintosh HD, which is greyed out because of the way Big Sur does drive protection and then Macintosh HD - Data, which is the Volume with /Users and all of my stuff. Your system will show a couple of other Volumes at the same level as Macintosh HD - Data with the new names you gave them to find them in this step. Find the two Volumes you renamed and Right click on one of them. The resulting menu will have a Delete Volume option on it. Click there and the volume will be removed (all data erased). You may have to unmount them before you can delete the Volumes. Repeat the process for the second unwanted Volume. The Update volume shouldn't mount, but if it does, rename it the same way and then delete it as well. In my image, you can see I have one as a sub volume on Macintosh HD. I suspect that I cannot delete that Volume because of Big Sur security, but it does not mount so I don't care. It's not consuming much space, either, so leaving it doesn't really bother me.

Ok, the standard warning--make backups of all volumes before you take any action, just in case it goes wrong.

Now if you want to go with the nuclear option, you could go all the way back to repartitioning the SSD to create a new Container, new volumes, etc., and then install and restore from backups to get what you want. The net result should be about the same as taking the easier approach, but it's always available to you and you will end up with a nice, clean drive. Frankly, I would not go that way, but it is an option.

Hope that helps and my apologies for it ending up being so long.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Terrific explanation Jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
D
Reaction score
Hello Jake,
My apologies for such a long delay in responding to your thorough and absolutely wonderful (aka. HELPFUL) explanation. I tried your instructed suggestions and it not only worked for the initial volumes that were plaguing me, but also for all the following volumes formatted and partitioned since then. Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
DLC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.