Dashboard as screensaver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Pardon the noob question, but i'm wondering if there's any way that I can set things up so my computer opens up dashboard when inactive, instead of a screensaver, for instance.

It's a Mini- OS X 10.4.8

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not exactly sure, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a ScreenSaver... Which is to "save" the screen from having images burn-in it.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Not exactly sure, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a ScreenSaver... Which is to "save" the screen from having images burn-in it.
I have the computer set up to sleep long before anything like that would happen, especially considering the monitor is an LCD. I'm just curious if you can have dashboard come up if you walk away from the computer and it's inactive for, say, 10 minutes.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
On the LCD flat-panel screens there is really no need for a screen-saver because they are incapable of "burning in" a stationary image. SS's are left over from the days when an image would burn in but they are really fun, so we've kept them around.
Back to the question.... I can't find any way to make Dashboard be your screen saver but if there's a way, you're sure to find out here from those who are more knowledgable about such things.
And if I haven't said it yet...Welcome to Mac-Forums and come back often.

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of LCDs with burn-in. It just takes a lot more idle time for it to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
On the LCD flat-panel screens there is really no need for a screen-saver because they are incapable of "burning in" a stationary image. SS's are left over from the days when an image would burn in but they are really fun, so we've kept them around.

Not according to Apple: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88343

It may be rare, but I certainly wouldn't leave my iMac screen on for days-on-end. While it can "usually" be fixed with a tweak or two, it's not something I would want to test. Not on my iMac anyway. :D

The point is moot as the OP says he sleeps his machine long before it would be an issue.

To OP's questions... I am sure it can be done with a script... I'll let you know what I find when I get home to my iMac...

And yes... Welcome to Mac-Forums!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I have seen plenty of LCDs with burn-in. It just takes a lot more idle time for it to happen.

True, it has been known to happen after 2 days or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm glad it was what you were looking for!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, trust me, they have burn in. most of our old kvm units with LCD monitors at my work have some level of burn in.

you're better off just having the screen power down after 10-15 min.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.