damaged charging cord for MACBook Pro

Reaction score
Is there a way to repair the rubber sheathing on the thin charging wire, in the middle of the cord not either end? I have tried black electrical tape but is seems to make matters worse and eats away more of the rubber sheathing. Will damaged sheathing cause troubles if not repaired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
As long as the wires within the sheathing are not bare and touching I can't see any problems arising. However that said, if you have any worries at all why not replace the the whole of the cord with a new one.

OP
R
Reaction score
As long as the wires within the sheathing are not bare and touching I can't see any problems arising. However that said, if you have any worries at all why not replace the the whole of the cord with a new one.

One would have to buy the whole expensive charger to replace the cord thus the question of how to repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
If the charging plug is in line with the cord, that is to say, straight and not at 90 degrees, try a piece of shrink-wrap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can order either cord through eBay, or maybe Amazon too. You can try an internet search to see who else carries them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I guess it depends how much you value the user if there is a short.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There are various thin rubber electrical tapes you can use, but not always readily available, also the "paint-on rubber ofter sold in sports and marine stores.

The heat shrink tubing usually won't fit over the end connections.

Good new cables can be purchased but can be a PITA to install, but both OWC (macsales.com) and monoprice.com (at least used to) sell complete new inits far below Apple's expensive price. Unless their warranty covers a replacement, always worth checking — even if out of warranty.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm always amazed at someone who wishes to repair a damaged MagSafe Charger Adapter or the cable. Considering that we have read of folks inflicting damage to their MacBook Pro or MacBook doing just that. It will cost more to repair the damaged machine than buying a new charger from Apple. And sometimes, taking the damaged charger into an Apple store and showing it to them, Apple replaces it for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
I would also suggest just taking the damaged charger to an Apple Store. They usually replace them on the spot without asking questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.