Damage to iPad 2 in transit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have just taken delivery of a second-hand iPad 2. It was badly packed and there is a dent next to the volume control.

Unlike my wife's iPad mini there appears to be one control rather than two. It is in a v shape. Is this correct or has it been knocked into that shape?

The volume control doesn't work but the iPad otherwise appears to be in good order apart from a minor scratch on the screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It was badly packed and there is a dent next to the volume control.

I would say that if you're dissatisfied with the condition of the iPad…return it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have just taken delivery of a second-hand iPad 2. It was badly packed and there is a dent next to the volume control.

Unlike my wife's iPad mini there appears to be one control rather than two. It is in a v shape. Is this correct or has it been knocked into that shape?

The volume control doesn't work but the iPad otherwise appears to be in good order apart from a minor scratch on the screen.

Hi Alwyn - I'm not sure what kind of 'return policy' is in force for this used iPad 2 but if the damaged occurred in transit, a dent as described might forebode internal damage - if possible, I would probably return the device.

I had an iPad 2 (upgraded to an Air 2 a few months ago) - see the pic below - the volume is controlled by a single rocker w/ the 'side switch' above; my new one has separate up & down volume buttons and no side switch - might want to upload a pic of the dent? Dave :)

250627-ipad-2-mute-button-volume-controls.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
PM(Private Message) Me a picture of it :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Damaged iPad

I would say that if you're dissatisfied with the condition of the iPad…return it.:)

- Nick

We are negotiating at the moment. Unlike on my iPhone the external volume is not, for me, essential so, if we can reach a satisfactory reduction I will probably settle.

At least the seller is not as daft as the guy who listed an iPad on e-bay with a pic of the screen including the original owner's declaration that it was lost with his mobile (US = cellphone) number!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
Can you send us the link from where you bought the ipad Like the actual listing of the ipad you bought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As they say Alwyn 'Best of British'. Trying to get a settlement out of a transit company even with insurance is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Sent a Quad Core G5 via courier, properly packed and addressed to a business. The courier delivered it in five pieces, left it in the door of the business and ran!

Of course 'It was okay when we delivered it' theme came through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it ups XP

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Faulty volume control.

Hi Alwyn - I'm not sure what kind of 'return policy' is in force for this used iPad 2 but if the damaged occurred in transit, a dent as described might forebode internal damage - if possible, I would probably return the device.

I had an iPad 2 (upgraded to an Air 2 a few months ago) - see the pic below - the volume is controlled by a single rocker w/ the 'side switch' above; my new one has separate up & down volume buttons and no side switch - might want to upload a pic of the dent? Dave :)

The seller has agreed to refund the cost of repair. My guess is that the dent has jammed the control. I've booked a Genius Bar visit for tomorrow so I'll get them to check it over.

Apart from the dent the image is exactly as per yours. Many thanks for your help.

I haven't mastered how to upload pix. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you send us the link from where you bought the ipad Like the actual listing of the ipad you bought

I bought it on e-bay. So far the seller has been amenable in agreeing to pay for return and refund money or, if appropriate to pay for repair.

He admits to being a greenhorn and will have learned a lesson for future transactions about the importance of proper packing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The seller has agreed to refund the cost of repair. My guess is that the dent has jammed the control. I've booked a Genius Bar visit for tomorrow so I'll get them to check it over.

Apart from the dent the image is exactly as per yours. Many thanks for your help.

I haven't mastered how to upload pix. Any help would be appreciated.

Great that you were able to work out a fair deal - hope all is corrected!

As to uploading an image(s) attached to your post, follow the steps below:

- Take a picture of the damaged iPad and transfer to your computer.

- Resize the image for web presentation (see first image below) - open the picture in Preview, select the tool box (blue arrow), click the resize tool (red area), change pixel size - the numbers shown would be appropriate for posting a web image.

- While composing your post, simply scroll down to 'Manage Attachments' & select (second pic below, blue arrow).

- Upload image (or an URL) (blue arrows, third image) - hit 'Upload' button far right. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 10.23.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 10.21.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 10.21.54 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The seller has agreed to refund the cost of repair.

Sounds great!:) EXCEPT…the seller being a "greenhorn" may not realize how expensive repairs can be for Apple devices. Depending what was paid for this iPad 2…the repairs may be a significant % of it's value.

I know here in the United States…many iPad 2 models are selling for $150 to $200. If the aluminum case of this iPad 2 needs to be replaced…I would guestimate that this would cost (in the United States)…over $100 (maybe more) parts + labor.

So as you can see…the repair costs could be 50% or more of the iPad 2's current value. I know this is not too much of a concern on your part (since the seller agreed to do it). I'm just saying that the seller may not be too happy when they receive the info from you regarding the repair costs. Since the seller may not be too happy with the final "profit" of this sale (selling price - repair costs = final profit).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.