Daily Changing "Password-Of-the-Day"in Yosemite

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Hi. How are you all? This will be the first of a number of posts, most probably in different appropriate forums.

Note: My wife and I both have Administrator privileges on my wife's MBP.

Issue: Our youngest daughter is allowed access to wife's MBP when she is not to use iMac and my wife is not using the MBP. My wife set a User password that everyone in the family knows except this one daughter. This is so she can be logged on the MBP by any of us yet she cannot just hop on it any old time (like 2:30 am). If no one is available to log her in to the MBP, then she (obviously) cannot use it. My wife asked me about having a changing second password for this account, a "password-of-the-day" as it were. Our daughter can then be given this password when she is being allowed on it.

Question: I do not see any way in OS 10.10 of having more than one User password for a specific User. Right?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You seem to be making it way more complicated than it needs to be..

Look into Parental Controls and create a Managed account for our daughter. You can set the times that she is allowed to use the computer, you can also limit the duration of the usage. You can restrict the applications that she can use, you can restrict the websites she can visit and so on..

Read more here: OS X Mavericks: Set up parental controls

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
You seem to be making it way more complicated than it needs to be..

Look into Parental Controls and create a Managed account for our(sic) daughter. You can set the times that she is allowed to use the computer, you can also limit the duration of the usage. You can restrict the applications that she can use, you can restrict the websites she can visit and so on..

Read more here: OS X Mavericks: Set up parental controls

Raz0rEdge:

Your idea will not suffice. It is not the time-of-day nor a question of allowing so many hours daily, but of allowing access to the MBP at The Parents' discretion.

For example:
Our Older Daughter, my wife, and I are all out of the house and We (The Parents) don't want Younger Daughter on the MBP, or conversely, same situation except We do give her permission to use the MBP

Issue:
If permission is given, We give her the password and this means Younger Daughter can use the MBP anytime she wishes to do so. We would have to change it each and every day via the Managed Profile ourselves.

Proposed Solution: Having an automatically changing daily password would serve our purpose. We then give her the password for that day, that automatically expires and creates a new one at midnight.

That is the intent behind my question.

BG

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I'm a little confused. Why not just take the MacBook Pro with you when you don't want to have access? And, conversely, leave it there when you do?

You haven't stated at the age of this daughter, but would a guest account perhaps be a better option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.