Customisation of Icons in Big Sur

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if anyone has worked out a way to customise the icons in Big Sur? If yes, do you have the information on it?

Cog.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Which icons do you mean? It would help if you spelt out what you wish to achieve 😀😀

Ian

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Which icons do you mean? It would help if you spelt out what you wish to achieve 😀😀

Ian

Hi Ian,

All icons, both app & system icons. There is an app called Liteicon that can help do that but they stopped at Catalina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does anyone know if anyone has worked out a way to customise the icons in Big Sur? If yes, do you have the information on it?

I guess you didn't get around to trying out any of these methods??? 😉

It seems that the mods to change icons should still work just like it always did.

Let us know if it doesn't work for you.

This should give you pretty well the same results:

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I used to love custom icons, way back when you could download a set of them in the same theme for HD's, CD's, Zip Drives, Floppy Disks (anyone remember them?), Folders and Applications.
Since the introduction of SIP (System Integrity Protection) I'm a little more wary and just use a free app called Tinted Folder Lite to change the colour of folders for easy recognition but Apple says it's easy to use anything at all including pictures from your Photo's Library. See here:
That's fine for Files and Folders but beyond that I would be careful, if you change the icon for an app or system file you run the risk that the OS may not recognise it.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Thank you Rod & Partrick.

Patrick, you just made my day! Love you till the end of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fine for Files and Folders but beyond that I would be careful, if you change the icon for an app or system file you run the risk that the OS may not recognise it.

Hmmm...??? I would say that is being overly cautious for those who prefer or like having a few custom icons. After all, most are just a specifically named graphic file, within a few pixel size range, and usually kept in the application's internal Resources folder.

Among such customized folders, for example, I have actually replaced the white trash can that I just can't stand with the old gray Wire trash can that I appreciate and enjoy, and it is been working well for years.

I do the same for any of my printers using a custom icon so it matches what my printer actually looks like or very close. All these can depend on the set background colour of one's Dock in order to keep some sort of contrast.

The less invasive method of using the Get Info to create custom icons certainly will not interfere with or confuse the MacOS and is certainly supported by Apple itself. No OS confusion at all. 😉

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are certain icons that Apple will not allow to be changed; in other words, they are locked. Folder icons such as the one for Applications is locked to the system.

I used to be able to change all my folder icons to ones that made more sense to me, but not anymore. It's the Apple way or the highway. (n)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to be able to change all my folder icons to ones that made more sense to me, but not anymore. It's the Apple way or the highway. (n)

Hmm...??? I thought the user could at least change the colour of some or all of their folders with all the later Mac OS versions.

I guess I chose to take a different Highway and I mainly use Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5 where I am still able to customize most of the stuff I need. In fact I haven't got stumped yet or been prevented from doing so. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm...??? I thought the user could at least change the colour of some or all of their folders with all the later Mac OS versions.
Yes you can certainly still do that, "Tinted Folder Lite to change the colour of folders for easy recognition." See my post number #5. I do that a lot but the method described in the article goes even further than that,
Still it's nice to see the old "Get Info" method still works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.