Curious re: Mac & AOL

D

dantesflame

In the UK you can't go AOL with broadband on a Mac - I think Demon is the ISP of choice for a lot of Mac user's here. Is this the same stateside or does AOL provide a broadband service for Mac user's over there ? General experiences of using Broadband on Mac appreciated - any modem issues ? etc. Gotta be honest after fitting in filters to phone line and loading in drivers it was just plug and play on my present m$ and never been a problem.

Will set up a special thread for AOL bashing another time for those inclined LOL for now please accept it has never been a problem using them for me, doesn't stop me doing anything and my wife feels comfortable using it. Just interested to know if AOL broadband is only unavailabe to certain countries and if so anyone know why and if it is likely to be sorted out soon / ever ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i dont use AOL and i live on the other side of the pond, so i think this site would be most helpful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
AOL has broadband, I havn't used AOL since 93-94, but they have always been good to macintosh. I would expect the other side of the globe to get the same broadband in a year or two, its fairly new over here for AOL..

OP
D

dantesflame

MacAddikt said:
i dont use AOL and i live on the other side of the pond, so i think this site would be most helpful

Thanks for reply, yeh I know this site and its just windows based at the moment - doesn't recognise Macs at all but cheers again for taking time :)

OP
D

dantesflame

Graphite said:
AOL has broadband, I havn't used AOL since 93-94, but they have always been good to macintosh. I would expect the other side of the globe to get the same broadband in a year or two, its fairly new over here for AOL..

If I go Mac as my main user machine they're gonna have to be quicker than that or I'm gonna have to change ISP.
MIght just be the push I need. Many thanks for taking time to reply. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I got an AOL 9 cd with my Macworld magazine for macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In the US, there (was? is?) a "bring your own access" plan, where you would sign up with another ISP (Broadband or dialup) and use AOL over that internet connection. It was cheaper than the normal AOL plan, but of course you had to pay for the ISP as well. If this is available where you are, it might be a way to keep the AOL services and still get broadband speeds.

Regular broadband on a Mac is plug-and-play. Just connect your (cable/dsl) modem to your Mac with an ethernet cable. No drivers needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.