CS 2 Cross Platform Issue???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
It might be my system's error because i ran delocalizer then used pacifist to reinstall the language packs again, refer to

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60811

for the problem that i was initially encountering, now prior to reinstalling OSX om my MBP, i decided to do another test.

I created a .psd file on my MBP and typed in 1 line of russian text, saved the file and moved it over to my Vista and when i tried to open the .psd file on the Vista machine(Vista is clean and out of the box with only CS2 installed just to troubleshoot this problem.)

"Some text layers contain fonts that are missing. These layers will need to have the missing fonts replaced vefore they can be used for vector based output."

The missing font is automatically replaced. I saved the .psd file again and shift it back to OSX platform and when i tried to edit the text field.

"Editing or rendering the text layer "Добро пожаловать" (<- that is the exact text in my .psd file and it also shows up in the popup windoe.)will cause it's layout to change"

when i click continue, everything turns into ???

anyone know what is going on.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you launch Mac OS X's FontBook (or the font manager you use) to make sure the font is activated?

OP
Aaagogo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
did the same test with some Mandarin (some ppl call it chinese) text and shifted it back and forth and when it came back to OSX, the same warning message pop's up BUT the Mandarin text remains the same. NOTHING IS CHANGED for the mandarin test

M

MacHeadCase

Did you restart since you re-installed the missing fonts using Pacifist?

I'm asking because logically it could be just a matter of the system needing a restart to register the fonts are back?

Otherwise, if you did restart and you're caught like that, I really can't see how you can do without a compete re-install here, sorry. The system looks pretty messed up right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Sounds to me like whatever font you used on the mac isn't installed on the PC. This does happen, and is a common issue for those of us in design. Most fonts can be read by both however, so it's a simple matter of getting the font off of the mac and installed on the PC.

What happens is, when the PC tries to open your file, it realizes that it doesn't have the font, so it alerts you, and then replaces it with it's default font. Then, when you bring the file back over to the mac, after saving it w/ the PC's default font, the mac might not have the font the PC used installed! I forget with photoshop, but I know that in the other adobe software its possible to save the file with the font embedded, so there's no problems.

No matter what they say, there are certain issues when transferring CS 2 files between platforms. Working professionally, I have to keep both a PC and Mac in house so that I can properly open whatever files my clients might send me. The only true adobe universal is .pdf files, which I often use when working with printing companies who sometimes don't always have the most up to date software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Hey Macheadcase, I see you've got a Rebel XT too! I love my camera, but I need to upgrade the kit lens...I can't quite justify the cost yet, since I'm sort of new to photography itself, but eventually...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds to me like whatever font you used on the mac isn't installed on the PC. This does happen, and is a common issue for those of us in design. Most fonts can be read by both however, so it's a simple matter of getting the font off of the mac and installed on the PC.
This is the most likely case. Just make sure that you have the font installed on both systems.

M

MacHeadCase

<Off Topic>

Hey Macheadcase, I see you've got a Rebel XT too! I love my camera, but I need to upgrade the kit lens...I can't quite justify the cost yet, since I'm sort of new to photography itself, but eventually...

Do I ever love that camera, rs2. I only wish I could buy some L series lens, win the lottery, that sort of thing, you know?

I've heard some good things about the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens... I was looking at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM (reviews are good) but well let's just say the next 12 months are gonna be a doozy financial-wise so I gotta stay put a little.

Besides since I take mostly pictures of wildlife, I need a more powerful telephoto zoom lens than the 70-300MM IS... Ok I'm dreaming here.

</Off Topic>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.