Crossover cable

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro to a PC with a crossover cable. When I connect the two computers using the cable, my internet browser on the Mac stops working (i.e. I can't download webpages any more). I have tried several different browsers but that doesn't help. The wifi symbol at the top-right of the screen still shows as being connected though. I want the wifi to continue working if I plug in the crossover cable. Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You didn't say which exact Mac model you are using but most Macs made in the last several years do not need the crossover cable. A regular one usually does the trick because it autostnses the change that need to be made. Not sure but I think the same applies when it's connected to a PC as well.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by connecting the two machines with a crossover cable. Perhaps we can provide an alternative method. We'll need machine and OS specs of course.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude

I'm using a
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Yosemite 10.10.1

The crossover cable was useful in creating a wired connection between my Mac and my PC, with the purpose of transferring large files quickly. After reading your post I tried using a standard ethernet cable (non-crossover), and that allowed me to transfer files too. The issue with each type of cable is that, when I plug it in to the PC, and then I plug the other end into the Mac, the Mac's wifi stops working. I want the wifi on the Mac to work at the same time as the cable being plugged in (so that I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging the cable).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The issue with each type of cable is that, when I plug it in to the PC, and then I plug the other end into the Mac, the Mac's wifi stops working. I want the wifi on the Mac to work at the same time as the cable being plugged in (so that I don't have to keep plugging/unplugging the cable).

You didn't mention it in your last reply, but did you try going into System Preferences, Network, and make sure that WiFi was selected after attaching the ethernet cable for transfer? WiFi should show up with a green dot if it's active.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes thanks. WiFi did show as active (with a green dot). While I was confirming this, I noticed the option to change the order of service! So now I've got WiFi as the priority over ethernet, which has solved it - thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that sorted things out. I didn't think to suggest that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.