Creating a folder/file link from my network drive to share via email, text?

Reaction score
I have a MyCloud drive that I still use. Western Digital no longer supports the drive and has removed the file management app.

However, the drive still works as a network drive.

It used to be easy to get a link using there app to share a file via email, text, but that function is gone.

Using the iMac how do I get a folder file link from the network drive to email large files, and folders.

I tried to use the Get Info link but that does not work.

Any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Open Finder. In the sidebar, look for the WD Drive, either under Locations if it is mounted, or look at "Network" if the drive is not mounted. Find the Drive and mount it. Now, if you want the whole drive, you can change your login options to add that drive, or if you want a subfolder on the drive, Find it in Finder and then in System Preferences or Settings, add the folder to your login items. That way it will be mounted every time you log in.

OP
R
Reaction score
The drive is mounted, but when I select a folder or file, there is not way to get a sharable link/

Someone said drop box but it is not on the imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, the challenge is that with the old WD drive software it will no longer be accessible from the Internet. WD no longer supports that access for that older drive. I have one in that state. It is available to me in my home network, but not from the Internet. I thought you just wanted to get access to it, but in re-readiing, I see you wanted to share a link to it by email. No can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DropBox is a third party service where you can put things on the Internet where you can then create and share with others. iCloud will do the same thing, I think. There are others, as well. DB used to be free for a small storage area, I don't know if that's still true or not. You would have to go to DropBox website to see what they are offering.

OP
R
Reaction score
I use Goggle Drive to do it. You can drop a folder or file into Goggle Drive and give access to someone in your contacts or Everyone. Not as good as emailing but it a solution, I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't do anything Google, but that is a workable solution. As I said, lots of options with third party.

OP
R
Reaction score
Looking at iCloud Drive I do not see how you can move any folder or file from your Hard Drive or Network drive to iCloud. It seems to limit you to Document, Desktop files. How do you set iCloud drive to share all files and folders?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Looking at iCloud Drive I do not see how you can move any folder or file from your Hard Drive or Network drive to iCloud. It seems to limit you to Document, Desktop files. How do you set iCloud drive to share all files and folders?

Would this help?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.