CPU won't load Flash Player ... it chooses MATLAB instead. Help?

Reaction score
Went to watch a YT video this morning, but the screen showed up as black saying I needed a Flash Player update. Thus, I did so. When I went to open the download from Adobe, it opened up MATLAB, which is a program I downloaded on my CPU a couple of weeks ago for school.

Thinking I did something in error, I tried again ... and again. It doesn't install the update, but rather, opens up MATLAB each time. I can't watch any videos of any kind on any website.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I went to open the download from Adobe, it opened up MATLAB
Can you clarify this part? Are you saying that when you went to launch the installer, MATLAB opened? If that's the case, right click the pkg file > Get Info > Open with > make sure this is set to Installer.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what happened.

I did as you mentioned - right clicked, get info, open with. It was set to MATLAB for some reason. However, I'm not quite solved yet. When I went to look for "Installer", I couldn't find the option like that. I did find the Flash Player update in my "downloads" menu but it's greyed out. Thoughts?

I appreciate your help thus far.

OP
T
Reaction score
The file name I downloaded, BTW, is named "install_flash_player_osx.dmg.mdlp" .

Don't know if that helps you help me at all.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What's an mdlp? That's a new one to me (is that a MATLAB extension?). If you remove the map extension and have it so that the file ends with dmg, can you then open it?

OP
T
Reaction score
That worked perfectly! Thanks for the help. Small fix, but big results!

It was affecting my access to my online Physics textbook as well, so I really appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Where did you get the Flash update from, because the extra extension is very weird. ( Even with Adobe's reputation :) )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Flash Player and see what version is shown there. Latest version is 15.0.0.189.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Where did you get the Flash update from, because the extra extension is very weird. ( Even with Adobe's reputation :) )

Cheers ... McBie

+1. I'd agree and rather strange.

I'd suggest using the FP in System Preferences -> Advanced to check and get any update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.