Couple easy ones (I hope) for a new user

Reaction score
Well, yesterday was the last straw for me as a Windows user, I'm not here to bash Windows, but I've just had enough of it not working time after time.

This MACBOOK Air is my first Mac laptop and a couple basic things are eluding me, both Safari related.

Is there a way to make Safari remember by preferred web page viewing size? Meaning, every time I open Safari I have to hit Command + two times to get the size I want. With a Windows machine it would remember this even if the machine was shut down and re-started. How can I do that with MAC/Safari so I don't have to tell it every time?

How can I get the slider bar on the right side of the web page to stay visible? I have to hit the down arrow and then grab it real quick before it disappears again. There has to be a way of keeping it there, right?

Thanks for any help you can be.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is there a way to make Safari remember by preferred web page viewing size? Meaning, every time I open Safari I have to hit Command + two times to get the size I want. With a Windows machine it would remember this even if the machine was shut down and re-started. How can I do that with MAC/Safari so I don't have to tell it every time?
Not that I know of. What browser were you using on your Windows machine? If it wasn't Internet Explorer, you could just use that browser on your Mac (as all browsers but IE and Safari are cross-platform).

How can I get the slider bar on the right side of the web page to stay visible? I have to hit the down arrow and then grab it real quick before it disappears again. There has to be a way of keeping it there, right?
Go to System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars > Always.

Just as an aside, MAC means something different from Mac. The former has to do with networking, the latter has to do with the computer in front of you. Not to be overly pedantic but there is a significant difference. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Not that I know of. What browser were you using on your Windows machine? If it wasn't Internet Explorer, you could just use that browser on your Mac (as all browsers but IE and Safari are cross-platform).

Go to System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars > Always.

Just as an aside, MAC means something different from Mac. The former has to do with networking, the latter has to do with the computer in front of you. Not to be overly pedantic but there is a significant difference. :)

Thank you for the advice. I will distinguish the difference between MAC and Mac going forward, thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're looking for...but you could go to:

- Safari drop down menu
- Preferences
- Advanced Tab
- check the box that says "Never use font sizes smaller than [ ]"
- enter the number you prefer

If you're talking about the vertical scroll bar. Maybe it is appearing & disappearing as you move the "pointer" over the scroll area. Just keep the trackpad pointer where the scroll bar is...and it should stay visible.

But another way to do what you want is:

- Go to the "Finder" (desktop)
- Apple drop down menu
- Preferences
- General
- click on "Show scroll bars"...choose "Always"

HTH,

- Nick

M

MacInWin

The problem with the Font Sizes never smaller approach is that it only changes the Font sizes. I've not discovered a good solution to what the OP wants in this case, so I've just learned to live with having to fix it manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Well, to be overly pedantic, that's not the only thing MAC can stand for, even if limited to the tech world.

MAC - Definition by AcronymFinder

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.