Corrupted attached files in Outlook - Apple .me account

Reaction score
I am running Outlook 2013 and Windows 8.1, on a recent Dell PC.

Last week, most Outlook attachments started to arrive corrupted. This includes PDFs, PPTXs, JPEGs; for example, with a PDF I get the message:

'Adobe Reader cannot open XXX because it is not a supported file type or the file is damaged...'

I took the computer to my local dealer and they found the same problem when my PC was connected to their network/ISP. They troubleshooted Outlook but found no problems. They set up my Outlook account on their own PC and still got the problem, and they are suggesting the fault lies with Apple's .me system working with Outlook.

I can receive files OK on my iPad.

Has anyone seen or heard of a similar problem?

Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
I have also posted on the Apple Support Communities forum and I have received two replies from people with the same problem. This lends further support to the fact that the fault lies with Apple's .me accounts.

I have tried contacting Apple but it's just impossible!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to be more descriptive as to what's going on. You state that your Windows Outlook file attachments are being corrupted by your Apple me.com account?

What happens when you use another email account to send Outlook files with attachments? Have you tried using another account? And by the way, Apple no longer issues an me.com or mac.com account. Everything now is icloud.com although you can continue to use the older email addresses.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, chscag.

I have another (google based) email account within my Outlook 2013 and this account receives the same files without a problem.

My iPad receives the same files via my .me account without a problem.

My computer dealer has set up my .me account on his own Outlook 2013 and has the same problem with the files being received corrupted.

dh82386 reports the same problem on Apple Support Communities - he/she states that file types including .pdf, .docx .jpg etc. are being truncated. The problem started about five weeks ago - as it did with me.

I appreciate that .me accounts are no longer issued but I have had my .me email address for many years (from when I owned and managed an Apple dealership!). If Apple said that they were discontinuing support for .me, then I guess I would have to deal with that but, as far as I know, they still support these accounts.

I would be grateful for your comments. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
We have solved the problem by setting up Outlook to use my .icloud address. This automatically receives .me emails and their attachments are not corrupted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have solved the problem by setting up Outlook to use my .icloud address. This automatically receives .me emails and their attachments are not corrupted.

You beat me to it. That's what I was going to suggest and apparently it (what was happening to your Outlook files) is a known bug. Thanks for posting back.

And yes, you can certainly continue to use your me.com or mac.com addresses as I stated before. All new accounts, however, are being issued as iCloud.com.

Reaction score
yea see when apple went to iCloud they changed there addresses to iCloud.com no longer me.com and because of iCloud drive the .me support in other o.s's no longer works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.