Corrupt files during data transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. I need to transfer a couple of gig from one external hardrive to another. When I have tried to do this in the past with this data it has always stopped half way through the process due to warnings popping up telling me that there are corrupt files trying to be copied.
Is there any way I can cleans my data of these corrupt files before I copy them across?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without purchasing special software, try using Disk Utility to verify and repair each drive before doing the transfer. If that doesn't work, you may need better software to repair or at least lock out the corrupt files.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot chscag. What kind of software would this be? Are there any particular apps you would recommend? (any free ones?)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ps, I just downloaded OnyX fo running a smart test on one of my other drives. Would this program also be able to identify/remove corrupt files from my data before transfer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
ps, I just downloaded OnyX fo running a smart test on one of my other drives. Would this program also be able to identify/remove corrupt files from my data before transfer?

Hi Josh - first, I'm assuming that your are transferring files between external HDs (EHD) - correct? Second, my comments will be based on that assumption - with the external HDs attached you can generate a 'System Report' (Apple -> About This Mac -> System Report) which will show the S.M.A.R.T. status on your drives; however, external HDs (at least the multiple ones that I own do not support this feature) - see the first image below - I've connected one of my TM backup external HDs to my MBPro and selected that drive in the report - noticed the arrow.

Also, opening 'Disk Utility' (DU) w/ the same EHD attached and running 'Verify Disk' (second image, blue arrow) shows the drive to be OK; if not, other options would be available. So as already recommended use DU to check your external drives first - if a 'repair' option is offered, then followed the directions - if of no help, then post back to this thread. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 6.17.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 6.24.02 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Dave,

In System Report, both drives say "SMART Status: Not Supported", both before & after the disks were verified/repaired (not sure if repairing makes a difference)

Both disks seemed to Verity just fine, but still gave me the option to Repair so I repaired for the **** of it also.

I will try copying the data again and get back to you!

Ps, are you meant to Verify / Repair disks on the partition (the named partition) or the route of the drive (the stock manufacturers name)? (I did both..)

many thanks,
Josh

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys. I am in the middle of this copy and every now & again one of my drives makes a small, single "bleep" sound. I cant tell which drive its coming from yet. Is this normal? I've copied 240gb or 1.6TB and have had no corruption errors so far..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys. I am in the middle of this copy and every now & again one of my drives makes a small, single "bleep" sound. I cant tell which drive its coming from yet. Is this normal? I've copied 240gb or 1.6TB and have had no corruption errors so far..

Hey Josh - results that I would have expected about the S.M.A.R.T. status on your external HDs - whether the repairs will help, hard to say?

HDs should not normally emit 'clicks, clacks, or other usual sounds' - often a sign of imminent failure - let us know what the age of these drives may be? But if you can get your data onto a functional drive, you need to figure out which one is creating that noise and consider a new replacement. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Dave. Please see this original post which is related to the drive I think is making the bleep sound;

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/320017-external-hardrive-not-mounting.html

It has been working fine ever since but the guys on the original post told me to be wary. Do I just keep using it (& keeping backups of it) until it breaks??
Are there any other tests I can run on the drive to identify if it has issues?

Hi Josh - looked @ that other linked thread which started w/ several really experienced posters, so I would certainly heed their advice - if the HD under discussion here is the same one from before, then the comments would be the same - I would be wary of using that HD.

Over the years, I've had 3 external HDs and a Zip Drive 'die' on me - most just started to 'click & clack' and could not be repaired - several were Maxtor drives (about 3+ years of age) - a call to support simply confirmed that the drives were dead.

You need to rely on redundant backups and use HDs that are functionally normally; for my laptop (and also our iMac), I have 2 1TB EHDs doing redundant Time Machine BUs; 2 1TB drives doing CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) BUs, and a LaCie SSD for an additional backup of my personal files, i.e. docs, pics, & music. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Dave. Gosh that is quite a backup setup! I bought CCC a while ago but only for backing up files that would not backup using timemachine (might have had the same corrupt issues as in this post)
Is there a reason you use Carbon Copies. Is it just so you can boot from them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Dave. Gosh that is quite a backup setup! I bought CCC a while ago but only for backing up files that would not backup using timemachine (might have had the same corrupt issues as in this post)
Is there a reason you use Carbon Copies. Is it just so you can boot from them?

Hi Josh - well I'd stop at just one each but as you can imagine, I don't really trust these external mechanical HDs, so just adding redundant ones (they are cheap enough & don't take much time on my systems - I'm retired, so no professional concerns).

As to CCC (or SuperDuper, another similar program recommended here, for the same purpose), it's not only a backup alternate but yes is bootable, so if your computer dies suddenly, then you can boot into the CCC clone. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.