Coronavirus Exposure Notifications Systems: How They Work and Appear on iOS

Reaction score
iOS now has an exposure notifications system (ENS) built into it that could help health officials to get a better handle on COVID-19 and future pandemics. Created by Apple and Google, an ENS lets people know about possible exposure to the virus. However, the adoption of this technology has been slow.

The post Coronavirus Exposure Notifications Systems: How They Work and Appear on iOS appeared first on Rocket Yard.

sWNm6JOjXwA

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Each state has to have its own app and exposure notification server, that tracks the randomly generated four digit numbers. Since there's "only" 10,000 combination for four digit numbers, that's not going to be enough for even a small city, much less a small state. Not to mention, that the randomly generated four digit number on my iPhone could generate the same four digit number on your smartphone. That's true, even if the app randomly generate a ten digit number and it's a problem.

As such, the app is probably using a static series of numbers that identifies your smartphone, together with the four/ten digit randomly generated number. That in itself will positively identifies the smartphone, where the app resides.

Besides that...

Does the app contact the exposure notification server and pulls down any notification for the smartphone? Even if it does that, the communication is over the cell network, rather an IP network. The notification server could keep logs for all of the apps connecting to it.

If the notification server pushes any notices to my iPhone, it has to know how to send it to my smartphone. There's no way around it, this is the way communication network works.

Maybe I didn't understand how the exposure notification system works, but what I've seen so far, it does not give me much confidence in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.