Core Duo 2 memory

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to the mac world. I purchases a macbook pro 2.0ghz last year. I noticed in the new macbook pros (core duo 2) you can upgrade to 3 gig memory by adding a 2 gig into one slot and 1 gig in the other. I was just curious about how this system works. Why can't I do the same thing in my macbook pro?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Well, first of all, I thought you could always upgrade the Pros to 3Gb. I didn't think it was just the newer ones. But in my opinion, it's a huge waste of money. It costs so much. I think that if you need that sort of performance out of a computer, then get a desktop. 2Gb is more than enough for the average person.

The way it works:
Buy a ridiculously over-priced 2Gb stick of RAM and then insert that stick in your slot. (Haha, I said put a stick in your slot)That's all there is to it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have 1 gig of memory in one of my memory banks. How important would it be to match my apple memory with another manufacturers memory. For example, my current memory is apple 1 gig, I found another 1 gig of memory for $100 but it's not made by apple. Would I have any issues with compatability? I've heard memory works most efficiently if it's the same brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.