Copying instead of moving

Reaction score
Hey all,

Some recent strange behaviour on my Mac.
When I go to move a folder into another folder, it copies it and leaves the folder in it's original location. This is annoying if nothing else. Also, when I want to move a file, it tells me "Modifying “HD” requires an administrator name and password".
I'm assuming permissions were messed up along the way. How might I go about fixing this.
Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The default behavior when doing this on the same drive is to move the files/folders from one to another. When going across drives, the default is to copy.

You can use Disk Utility and have it do a repair to see if it'll resolve the permission problem for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The default behavior when doing this on the same drive is to move the files/folders from one to another. When going across drives, the default is to copy.
…and to reverse that behavior, in both instances, hold down the Command key while dragging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
When I wish to move any important file, I always copy it across then delete the original, experience with computors over 30 years is that, during the move anything can happen. Power outage, or just a glitch and your file is in two parts in two places, with access to only one, and that does not work correctly. Things may have moved on to prevent this now, but once you have lost an important file, you never forget the lesson learnt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you want to you can change Permissions on the drive.

This link is for Sonoma, but there is the option to change macOS versions all the way back to High Sierra.

OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score

You can use Disk Utility and have it do a repair to see if it'll resolve the permission problem for you.
All on the same drive. Running Disk Utility now. Fingers crossed.

OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
If you want to you can change Permissions on the drive.

This link is for Sonoma, but there is the option to change macOS versions all the way back to High Sierra.
Changing permissions but the problem persists. A bit baffled over here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just so we are clear, where are you the copying the files from/to? If the copying is happening all within folders that you own or have R/W access to, you won't get that message. If you are trying to copy to the top-level folders where you only have read access, then that might explain the message which is valid.

OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
Just so we are clear, where are you the copying the files from/to? If the copying is happening all within folders that you own or have R/W access to, you won't get that message. If you are trying to copy to the top-level folders where you only have read access, then that might explain the message which is valid.
Copying from folder to folder on the same drive. Permissions seem to be all over the map. When I go to change them on my HD, it tells me I don't have permission to do so. The users listed are 'system' as R/W, 'wheel' as R and 'everyone' as R. When I try to add admin, no go. This is a relatively new phenomenon.
Ran disk utility. No repair permission option. Repaired instead through Terminal. No change.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Copying from folder to folder on the same drive. Permissions seem to be all over the map. When I go to change them on my HD, it tells me I don't have permission to do so. The users listed are 'system' as R/W, 'wheel' as R and 'everyone' as R. When I try to add admin, no go. This is a relatively new phenomenon.
Ran disk utility. No repair permission option. Repaired instead through Terminal. No change.
What I mean is, are you copying folders from within your home folder (usually Macintosh HD/Users/<username>) to other folders within there or are you copying them outside of your home folder?

OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
What I mean is, are you copying folders from within your home folder (usually Macintosh HD/Users/<username>) to other folders within there or are you copying them outside of your home folder?
Inside only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.