Copying files to new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Okay, my mid 2011 iMac is dying a slow death...shifting the display horizontally off of view at will...blacking out for a few seconds at times, so time for a replacement. I should be getting the Gold 24" M3 chip 512 GB iMac sometimes between 14-16 November. I go from running High Sierra to whatever the current OS is. How do I transfer files from one to the other? iCloud, CCC, directly by Thunderbolt cable? I assume files that would not work on new computer would just not be copied over, including the HS OS. Is that correct?
Apple will accept my 27" and recycle it for me for free. How do i erase any files or data before shipping it out...or is their a market for this old iMac...or a charity that would take it?

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How do i erase any files or data before shipping it out...
iCloud, CCC, directly by Thunderbolt cable?
Thunderbolt or ethernet cable would be quickest.

As far as files/apps, when I get a new machine, I usually set it up as brand new, and install the apps as I need them, along with the files needed for them. The less things I transfer over, the longer it will remain clear of junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How do I transfer files from one to the other? iCloud, CCC, directly by Thunderbolt cable?
Apple includes Migration Assistant.app to do the user file transfers they want to need, Carbon Copy Cloner can be more particular for what gets moved and is perhaps a bit more geekier and I am there are many agencies or individuals that would gladly take over ownership of your older iMac, even if it isn't in perfect shape.

Bob provided the other procedures above that you need to do before selling or giving away your old Mac.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.