Copy App between MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I have muCommander software on my 2009 MacBook Pro and it runs great. Trying to install it on my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro it installs, but when I try to run it I get a popup that says the app is damaged and should be put in Trash. To get around the issue I copied the .app folder from my machine to my wife's by drag & drop using Finder. I dropped it on the desktop and it ran fine. Dragging it to the Applications folder seemed to go fine, but when trying to start if from Applications it tries to start and never comes up. Coping it again to the desktop it runs fine. Is there some security thing in Mavericks that is coming into play here? Any help will be very much appreciated. Both machines are running OSx 10.9.4.

Reaction score
It is not unusual for there to be an Application folder in the Home folder of a user. If there is not one there already, create one and put the app in there. Populate the dock with it if helpful, and call it good.

The reason that it won't run in the System Application folder probably has to do with either the app's user/permission settings or library access issues (can deal with a user library (~/Library) but not the system library (/Library)).

[edit]
But you can just freely download it from here: http://www.mucommander.com/index.php#download

P.S. Be careful about having java enabled on your Macs to run muCommander.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose another App folder would work, but if possible I would like to figure out why muCommander will not install and run normally. I've downloaded new copies, and tried my own copies of the .dmg file and as said in my original post it installs, but on my wife's machine it won't run and OSx says it is a bad install and should be trashed. The copying process was to figure out if it would actually run or not which it does, but not from the Applications folder. It does on my MacBook Pro so I know it can run from there just fine, but something strange is happening on my wife's machine. BTW, it was originally installed normally on my machine when I had OSx 10.7 so maybe the installer messes up on 10.9?

I'm curious why the comment on using Java. I'm using Java 1.6 since 1.7 on the Mac doesn't run in 32bit mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does on my MacBook Pro so I know it can run from there just fine, but something strange is happening on my wife's machine.

Check your wife's machine to see if she has Java installed. muCommander will not install unless Java is present. You can check by opening System Preferences where other apps are installed.

(I believe the latest version of muCommander is .9)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Java 1.6 is installed. I installed it and besides the copy I made to her machine of muCommander wouldn't have run without it.

It's interesting though that it doesn't show up in System Preferences as you seem to indicate it should. Maybe because it is 1.6 and not 1.7?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.