Cooling question for mid 2009 unibody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
Ok, so I am looking for some cooling options for my mbp. I have read online that most of the cooling pads do not work as efficient as I thought.

Meaning this I have come up with an idea of a cooling option and I need to know if it will be safe to work. I want to take off the bottom plate of my mbp and lay my computer upside down so that all of the hardware is exposed. I will put a real fan blowing onto the exposed hardware.

*As a side note I use an external display and keep my macbook in clamshell mode

I just need to know if this a possible "super" cooling solution.

Many thanks! ~Patrick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Not a good idea. Covers are there for a reason - to keep out unwanted things like dust, dirt, moisture, a paper clip :eek: etc. Besides, your MBP has been engineered to operate with all covers in place with the internal thermal sensors controlling fans speeds.

Buy a stand like the Griffin Elevator or something similar. That will help to keep the machine cool and also give it some protection against spills.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you're willing to take it apart, and have it hanging upside (ROFL) then perhaps you have no need for a laptop, and you should sell it while it's still worth enough to get the return to buy an iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would put it back together sell it and as 6string said get an iMac.

C

chas_m

<shakes head>

I will never understand the mentality of people who appear to believe that Apple just FORGOT to deal with cooling in their laptop line, and so THEY have to deal with it. This just strikes me as extremely bizarre thinking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.