Converting older simple text docs to text edit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I hope I'm posting in the right place... Recently, I needed a business document stored on my old Apple/Mac G3 tower (several computers ago). I probably haven't used this older Mac computer for 14~15 years but it started right up and seemed to work just fine. Nowadays, when I need to create a short document for myself (like a one-pager) I usually use the Text Edit app (in my iMac) as it's convenient and I'm not writing a novel, just a short note. Now, back in the G3 day (using Mac OS 9.2) the predecessor of Text Edit was called Simple Text and did about the same thing, at least for me, in my world. I used a memory stick to retrieve some of these older documents from the G3 computer but when I tried to open these Simple Text files on my iMac (running High Sierra, 10.13.6) I found that they were not the same as Text Edit and when clicking on a Simple Text file the Terminal utility program opened and I got alot of what looked like machine language, or a pageful of those arcane commands that the Terminal likes and uses. My question: is there some sort of file converter program so I can convert these older Simple Text files to Text Edit format documents. It would be very helpful to me (and save me a ton of typing) if such conversion process was possible. Thanks.
Bob M.

P.S. I guess I'm only well known around here for asking really elementary questions about really old computers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How did you try to open the file(s)? Did you use File > Open, from within TextEdit, or did you just double click on the file? Can you do a Get Info on the file and find out what document type it is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I hope I'm posting in the right place... Recently, I needed a business document stored on my old Apple/Mac G3 tower (several computers ago). I probably haven't used this older Mac computer for 14~15 years but it started right up and seemed to work just fine. Nowadays, when I need to create a short document for myself (like a one-pager) I usually use the Text Edit app (in my iMac) as it's convenient and I'm not writing a novel, just a short note. Now, back in the G3 day (using Mac OS 9.2) the predecessor of Text Edit was called Simple Text and did about the same thing, at least for me, in my world. I used a memory stick to retrieve some of these older documents from the G3 computer but when I tried to open these Simple Text files on my iMac (running High Sierra, 10.13.6) I found that they were not the same as Text Edit and when clicking on a Simple Text file the Terminal utility program opened and I got alot of what looked like machine language, or a pageful of those arcane commands that the Terminal likes and uses. My question: is there some sort of file converter program so I can convert these older Simple Text files to Text Edit format documents. It would be very helpful to me (and save me a ton of typing) if such conversion process was possible. Thanks.
Bob M.

P.S. I guess I'm only well known around here for asking really elementary questions about really old computers...
What happens if, instead of clicking on the file, you open TextEdit and open the file from there? If TextEdit can use the file at all it may open up that way. I don't know anything about Simple Text, but if there is any compatibility that's how you will find it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another solution is if the G3 is still working and you have OS 9.2 up and running, try converting the Simple Text file to plain text. I don't know if Simple Text had that as an option but if it did, that will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My question: is there some sort of file converter program so I can convert these older Simple Text files to Text Edit format documents. It would be very helpful to me (and save me a ton of typing) if such conversion process was possible. Thanks.
Bob M.

Maybe try Pico if you can manage a Terminal type Application, or maybe better yet, the free version of
BBEdit's little brother, TextWrangler.app. It just might do a good portion of the translation of the old Simple Text files, if not all:

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happens if, instead of clicking on the file, you open TextEdit and open the file from there? If TextEdit can use the file at all it may open up that way. I don't know anything about Simple Text, but if there is any compatibility that's how you will find it.

Yes, thank you. I was able to read the files when I moved them from my memory stick to my desktop, then, I opened Text Edit and clicked on the said file on the desktop and it read it perfectly, with correct font, size and formatting. These Simple Text file are called unix executable under the File Kind heading on my memory stick list of document files. I know the smart folks here would be able to solve this problem; thanks again.
Bob M.

Reaction score
These Simple Text file are called unix executable under the File Kind heading on my memory stick list of document files.

Here's what's going on. Years ago the Macintosh used two types of invisible metadata to identify files, called "File Type" and "Creator". That allowed your Mac to instantly know what a file was (and show the proper icon for it) and to know what application should be used to open it.

When the Macintosh moved to OS X, which is based on Unix, Apple moved away from using the File Type and Creator meta data and instead began to use file extensions, such as "file.txt" and later what is known as "Uniform type identifiers". Beginning with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, creator codes are ignored entirely by OS X (now called the macOS).

Sometimes when you move an older file over to a newer Mac, the file will have no FileType or Creator data, and no extension either. In that case, your Mac doesn't know what the file is or what application should be used to open it, so it shows up as a random Unix file. You can fix this by simply appending a file extension to the name of a file. Or, you can instead click on a representative file and choose Get Info and under Open With you can choose which application to open that file with. You can even choose right there to have all such files with the application of your choice.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what's going on. Years ago the Macintosh used two types of invisible metadata to identify files, called "File Type" and "Creator". That allowed your Mac to instantly know what a file was (and show the proper icon for it) and to know what application should be used to open it.

When the Macintosh moved to OS X, which is based on Unix, Apple moved away from using the File Type and Creator meta data and instead began to use file extensions, such as "file.txt" and later what is known as "Uniform type identifiers". Beginning with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, creator codes are ignored entirely by OS X (now called the macOS).

Sometimes when you move an older file over to a newer Mac, the file will have no FileType or Creator data, and no extension either. In that case, your Mac doesn't know what the file is or what application should be used to open it, so it shows up as a random Unix file. You can fix this by simply appending a file extension to the name of a file. Or, you can instead click on a representative file and choose Get Info and under Open With you can choose which application to open that file with. You can even choose right there to have all such files with the application of your choice.

Randy B. Singer,
Thanks for the whole story or the story underneath my specific problem. Usually, when I have a computer problem I learn alot about the specific problem/cure and become somewhat smarter or al least, better informed. If I keep having problems, I'll eventually understand most areas of computing. I'll help me to move farther ahead.

I spoke too soon in my last post when I said by opening the unix executable in question with Text Edit I was able to solve my problem. This is only half true. If a file I was attempting to open only contained alpha-numeric data, like a letter to or from a client, then it would be converted without problem, as I said in my post above. But I also have some business forms I've created, like grids, using Adobe Illustrator and these files cannot be opened/converted using Text Edit. (BTW, this is why I started this whole thing - to get these business forms).

I've spoken with Adobe and the version of illustrator I used back then (8.0) is not compatible with the current Illustrator release (25.0) and this current one will not read files over 5 years old. (my files are 14~15 years old). The output of my older version of Illustrator has three different output file types but so far, I've struck out at getting a useable, converted versions into my iMac. I guess what I really need is a program/app that converts unix executable files into Rich Text Format and other formats used by today's computers. I wonder if there is such an app out there like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I guess what I really need is a program/app that converts unix executable files into Rich Text Format and other formats used by today's computers. I wonder if there is such an app out there like that?

Adding to what Randy mentioned earlier, if any of those old SimpleText created files had any sort of graphics included, they would have been added to its "invisible" Resource fork and I do not think anything other than the SimpleText Application or ResEdit application would be able to show them.

You would need an old working Motorola-based Mac up until a Mac running OS 8.5 to use either of those applications.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess what I really need is a program/app that converts unix executable files into Rich Text Format and other formats used by today's computers. I wonder if there is such an app out there like that?
I think you missed the point Randy made that when macOS finds a file with no associated application it labels it "unix executable" no matter the source of the file. So you don't want something that converts "unix executable" into anything else, because there is no such animal. What you need to do is to find a way to open those files that have no extent or meta data that were created with those old applications. Don't waste any time on a converter from "unix executable" to anything.
But I also have some business forms I've created, like grids, using Adobe Illustrator and these files cannot be opened/converted using Text Edit. (BTW, this is why I started this whole thing - to get these business forms).
Maybe try GIMP? Old AI files are pretty specific and don't open in many products that are not AI. But GIMP may be able to import from those old formats for you. Otherwise, use that legacy machine to run the AI version that created them, open them and see what formats are available for exporting. Maybe you will get lucky, but it's a real long shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Preview may be able to open those file format. Then you should be able to save them as PDF files.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and your posts. As I said, I'm able to convert about half of the files already but since then I've discovered I have a friend who also uses (and continues to use) an older version of Adobe Illustrator and he's been able to help me with some of the files I've had trouble converting to another form, like PDF files. So, although my problem is not completely solved, I've got a good 'work around the problem' solution for now and enough that I get some use from these old files.
Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is another option you might want to consider. Adobe now licenses a monthly license for Photoshop that can be cancelled at any time. I am pretty sure it can open AI files. So you could give Adobe tech support a quick chat to see if files as old as yours can be opened with PS, and if they can, pay for one month of license, convert all of the documents and then cancel the license. They even have AI on a monthly license, which might also work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.