convert mp3 to mp4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbair 13"(mid 2013) Yosemite,iphone4
convert mp4 to mp3

hello everyone.
I need help converting mp4 to mp3. Ive been searching and theres something using vlc but for windows i guess. Cant figure it out on the mac.
Help...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
hello everyone.
I need help converting mp4 to mp3. Ive been searching and theres something using vlc but for windows i guess. Cant figure it out on the mac.
Help...

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You really need to provide more information: 1) MP3 is an audio codec & MP4 is multimedia - so what do you want to do (i.e. your title & content say the opposite); 2) What Mac are you using and what OS X; and 3) Are you wanting to go to audio only? Just for starters - Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hello everyone.
Help...

The best way to convert mp4 to mp3 is to use iTunes which you already have on your computer. Read through the following instructions to learn how.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You really need to provide more information: 1) MP3 is an audio codec & MP4 is multimedia - so what do you want to do (i.e. your title & content say the opposite); 2) What Mac are you using and what OS X; and 3) Are you wanting to go to audio only? Just for starters - Dave

Thanks Dave. Sorry about the title, haven't had time editing earlier, but its really mp4 to mp3. I'm using mbair 13", yosemite. The thing is I have lots of music in mp4, and I wanted to convert them all to mp3 for my walkman. I just dont know how to... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. Sorry about the title, haven't had time editing earlier, but its really mp4 to mp3. I'm using mbair 13", yosemite. The thing is I have lots of music in mp4, and I wanted to convert them all to mp3 for my walkman. I just dont know how to... :D

Of course a lot of options including the recommendation to use iTunes which I've done w/o a problem; BUT, if you want another choice, I've used a free app called Adapter (click the link) - can do all sorts of conversions and is easy to use - below is a screen shot of the program opened on my laptop w/ the audio choices shown. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 12.28.32 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course a lot of options including the recommendation to use iTunes which I've done w/o a problem; BUT, if you want another choice, I've used a free app called Adapter (click the link) - can do all sorts of conversions and is easy to use - below is a screen shot of the program opened on my laptop w/ the audio choices shown. Good luck - Dave :)

Downloaded the Adapter and its like magic!! Thanks Dave :Cool::Cool::Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Dave:

When I saw that "Adapter" could convert audio files to ringtones, I too downloaded a copy. Creating ringtones for the iPhone is a headache when trying to do it with iTunes. It works but there are like three extra steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

When I saw that "Adapter" could convert audio files to ringtones, I too downloaded a copy. Creating ringtones for the iPhone is a headache when trying to do it with iTunes. It works but there are like three extra steps.

Hi Chscag - I still have a 'dumb phone' - wife got the iPhone 6 (and she does not do much w/ ringtone options), so cannot respond to that issue. I've only use the app for audio conversions and seems to do quite well - but curious, is it too much of an effort w/ the ringtones? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've only use the app for audio conversions and seems to do quite well - but curious, is it too much of an effort w/ the ringtones? Dave

With iTunes? Definitely yes. You have to convert a song or music clip (30 seconds only) to MP3 and then to AAC. I usually go to sites that offer free ringtones (already 30 seconds in length) and are MP3. Every dumb phone I ever used will accept a straight MP3 30 second music clip as a ringtone. But not the iPhone. :p

I'm going to test the "Adapter" app to create some ringtones later and will let you know how well it works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

I'm going to test the "Adapter" app to create some ringtones later and will let you know how well it works.

Just tested it. Works real well, much easier than using iTunes. Now I have two new ringtones to sync to my iPhone. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Dave. I may give that app a try. I've used iTunes to create ringtones before but it's kinda annoying . I don't do a lot with ringtones but I might have to start just to spruce up the iPhone 6+.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. I may give that app a try. I've used iTunes to create ringtone s before but it's kinda annoying . I don't do a lot with ringtones but I might have to start just to spruce up the iPhone 6+.

Hi Sly - let us know; and I see you bought a new phone - congrats! Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Got tired waiting for that Santa fellow to appear with a replacement. Probably wouldn't have changed but we have been having major signal problems recently so we decided to change providers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.