Contacts

Reaction score
My contacts disappeared from the icon on my desktop. They are still on my phone and in icloud. How do I retrieve them for my desktop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much to go on. Things just don't "disappear". We are assuming that when you open your contacts.app, there are no contacts listed? Are you syncing your contacts with iCloud? If you are and the contacts are listed ok on your iPhone, then they will appear in your contacts app on your Mac.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, mlp48

Yes, a bit more info would help; such as the Operating system on your Mac and the model of the Mac.

A trivial point about terminology, just for my clarification; I presume you meant the Contacts icon in your Dock (at the very bottom of the screen) rather than your Desktop?

As our Admin chscag said, if your contacts are on your iPhone and in iCloud, as you state:

On your Mac, Open System Preferences > iCloud and make sure that Contacts is checked along with any other things you want synced between devices.

Of course, you have to be signed into iCloud on the iPhone and on the Mac for syncing to happen.

Please post back. We are here to help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, mlp48

We are here to help.

+1

But, we might not be here much longer. See the thread in News and Community Announcements.
We will be moving to Mac-Forums.org but we just don't know when.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not much to go on. Things just don't "disappear". We are assuming that when you open your contacts.app, there are no contacts listed? Are you syncing your contacts with iCloud? If you are and the contacts are listed ok on your iPhone, then they will appear in your contacts app on your Mac.

In Icloud I hit restore contacts. The app is still blank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I'm not sure what actual method you used but I have read that restoring some data from iCloud can take a while and at least 15 minutes or more.

I have no idea if that is normal or how long you waited.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You need to be signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID and password on both your iPhone and Mac. Also as Ian pointed out, you must select to sync your contacts in System Preferences, iCloud. And of course your Mac must have access to the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.