contacts not syncing between Mac os 10.15.7 and IOS 14.6 iPhone 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
For a while now, contacts on my iMac, OS 10.15.7 NOT syncing w/iPhone 11, IOS 14.6. I did try syncing device and desktop over wifi at this website, but did not work. Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi
Very important for my iMac to be principal contact list, and to sync w/iPhone. I have a feeling happened with last or next to last update. Can't find correct forum to get on for answer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The recommended way to sync your contacts across your devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) is to do it thru iCloud.

On your Mac, open System Preferences, Apple ID, and under the title "Apps on this Mac using iCloud:", make sure you have Contacts selected.

As long as your Mac, iPad, and/or iPhone are connected over WiFi, your contacts will sync.

You could also sign on to iCloud with your Apple ID and password, select Contacts, and then add or subtract whatever contacts you wish. They will automatically sync to your Apple devices over WiFi.

OP
ramcclain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The recommended way to sync your contacts across your devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) is to do it thru iCloud.

On your Mac, open System Preferences, Apple ID, and under the title "Apps on this Mac using iCloud:", make sure you have Contacts selected.

As long as your Mac, iPad, and/or iPhone are connected over WiFi, your contacts will sync.

You could also sign on to iCloud with your Apple ID and password, select Contacts, and then add or subtract whatever contacts you wish. They will automatically sync to your Apple devices over WiFi.

That's what I thought I was doing earlier via the above link, but nothing's different. Never had this problem before, either, and has been very annoying. I have noticed lately that top left, it says groups, so don't know if all of my contacts are even showing?? Screenshot of iPhone contact window. If that's the problem no clue how to change that.

Thanks for your help. Will try your suggestion as they ARE connected on wifi.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.PNG
    IMG_0661.PNG
    160.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
ramcclain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just rechecked, and now all names from iMac are on iPHone, so synching over wifi must have worked; just was not as fast as I thought it should be.

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, great. Yes, sometimes it may take awhile for the contacts to sync. And as long as you use iCloud, it's not necessary for your devices to be on the same network. It's only necessary that the devices have access to iCloud. That could be at your local Starbucks or McDonalds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Sometimes sync needs a jump start - the basic switch it off and back on again. Currently my photos are taking ages to replicate from my phone; they can be in Photo Stream on the phone but haven't copied over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.