Contacts from cell to macbook...

Reaction score
OK, this is a shot in the dark, but maybe one of you have the same phone.

I have cell service with Verizon.
The model is a LG VX9800

What I would really like to be able to do is import my contacts (phone numbers primarily) from my cell to my mac and vice versa...

I have successfully paired them, and set it up to use address book... but that's as far as I get. When I try and browse my phone it says something like "Device does not have necessary services."

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
OK, this is a shot in the dark, but maybe one of you have the same phone.

I have cell service with Verizon.
The model is a LG VX9800

What I would really like to be able to do is import my contacts (phone numbers primarily) from my cell to my mac and vice versa...

I have successfully paired them, and set it up to use address book... but that's as far as I get. When I try and browse my phone it says something like "Device does not have necessary services."

Thanks in advance.

I had a quick look around and it's possible that the service to sync the contacts has been deliberately disabled.

From Verizon Wireless Support:
"The Motorola Razr is currently not capable of transferring files using Bluetooth technology. Bluetooth capability is a specialized function of this handset, not a feature of our wireless phone service. Verizon Wireless offers limited support of this technology for select devices such as wireless headsets, hands free car kits and dial up networking. We are reviewing the possibility of providing a software update for the Razr that will re-enable the file transfer capability. It is the intent of Verizon Wireless to provide the best equipment and services possible while maintaining reasonable security measures to protect our customers and the security of our wireless network. This issue has been acknowledged by Verizon Wireless as a potential concern and we are working to provide a suitable solution that will ensure the best customer experience possible."

I realise the above is pertinent to the Motorola Razr, but possibly is the reason for your error message.

How about a Data Transfer Cable?

Here are a few snippets I found which may or may not help:

I got a Verizon Razr that came with the newer .03 software and disabled OBEX. I just flashed the .02 software onto the phone, and it now will do OBEX! I just followed the info from this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=836453&page=3&pp=15

Verizon have disabled the OBEX feature completely...

You might be able to find information on how to flash an earlier version of the OS onto your phone - if you're willing to try that - over at the terrific howard forums. Go to http://www.howardforums.com/

Reading up on the subject quite a bit, it appears that Motorola / Verizon disabled the "send your contact list" capability in the RAZR V3c. .

I've wondered if anyone has had any success with syncing their RAZR with a bluetooth laptop, then trying to trick the Prius into receiving a phone book transmission from the laptop itself?

Reaction score
I have a Moto E815 w/ Verizon and sync'ed easily using iSync. However, when I did sync it appended a hypen to the end of all my contacts that were listed as a first name only. For example, John became John-, but John Doe would still be John Doe. If you can't get this to work though look at the free application from verizon called Backup Assistant. I'm sure goint that route you could get it into your Address book.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Thanks... I do have backup assistant (I've been using it since it came out). How will that allow me to import those contacts into my mac address book? In the meantime, going to look up isync. Thanks

EDIT: Well, looks like my phone isn't isync compatible. I do beieve it's time to get a new phone now... LOL But, I am hoping there's a way to use backup assistant- I couldn't find it on the website.

Reaction score
I spoke too soon! I logged into the BA website and thought it would have some sort of export to csv or something similar, but no. **** Verizon. So, if you can't use iSync then I'm not sure what other option you might have. Sorry!

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
That's ok. I know they have migration software around... but I'd prefer to use bluetooth... I just have to get a new phone! LOL thanks anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
I have a verizon Motorola E815 and synced it fine with my macbook. Paired the devices opened up isync and just clicked sync devices and it syncs the calander and address book. I can't browse through files but I can sync it in this manner and it seems to work fine.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
well it really tweeks me my phone doesnt work... I spent (seriously) over a grand or more trying out different phone (smart phones and the like)... I love this phone because of it's text messaging ease... it's truly the nicest phone I've owned and I've owned some of the more expensive ones. Anyway, it's no biggie, if I didn't have over 100 contacts in my phone I'd do it manually. LOL Thanks again man

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.