Contacts/Address Book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
I have a ton of contacts on my iPhone and also in the address book on the MacBook Pro. I'd like to remove many of them but not necessarily delete them for good. Is TimeMachine the best course of action for this? Back up and then delete.
Any other ideas? Can I create a file of sorts and store them on iCloud just in case I ever want to contact any of these people? I'm looking for an easy method so I don't have to write all of it out and then save that file.
Thanks,
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You could right click on the names in Contacts and then Export them to a set of vCards and then delete them. You can select one at a time, or bunches to do that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you using iCloud to keep the contacts up to sync? If so, you can export all the contacts directly out of iCloud with these instructions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did something similar recently when I wanted to send a series of contacts to my wife's iPhone. The contacts were scattered throughout my address book so it would have been a bit of a pain to select them one by one since very few were contiguous with each other. I'm working on memory here but this should work for you. Do the following with Contacts open:

1. Find a card that you want to export and click Edit.
2. Add a descriptive word or phrase t the Notes field.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each card you need to export.

And then the magic happens (aka Smart Groups)

4. Select New Smart Group from the File menu
5. In the box that appears gee the group a descriptive name
6. Set the drop down to Note contains and enter your keyword or phrase.

From now on that group name shows in Contacts and you can click on it and export as either a PDF or vCard. For your purposes you'll want to use vCard.

Multiple keywords can be in the Notes field of each card as long as the keywords/phrases are separated by commas. This makes it possible for cards to be in multiple groups simultaneously for organizational purposes without having to have multiple cards for one person.

The comments field in iTunes/Music behaves the same way when creating Smart Playlists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... ... ... Multiple keywords can be in the Notes field of each card as long as the keywords/phrases are separated by commas. This makes it possible for cards to be in multiple groups simultaneously for organizational purposes without having to have multiple cards for one person.

The comments field in iTunes/Music behaves the same way when creating Smart Playlists.

Smart solution Sly.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to avoid a step or two, as you go through the contacts, hold down CMD and click on the contacts you want to export. They don't need to be contiguous, so like any selection you can pick the ones you want. You can use the same approach to create a group from some of your contacts.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point Jake. I couldn't remember for sure if that works or not. Amazing how often I forget to include shortcuts like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, you have to learn to be lazy, like me. My dad always told me to hire a smart, lazy, honest man whenever I could. Honest so that he would do the job, lazy so he would find the easiest way and smart to be able to know when not to take shortcuts. I've followed that advice and it's never led me astray. So, learn to be lazy!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMG I love that.Definitely got to remember that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have a ton of contacts on my iPhone and also in the address book on the MacBook Pro. I'd like to remove many of them but not necessarily delete them for good. Is TimeMachine the best course of action for this? Back up and then delete.
Any other ideas? Can I create a file of sorts and store them on iCloud just in case I ever want to contact any of these people? I'm looking for an easy method so I don't have to write all of it out and then save that file.
Thanks,
chris

To answer your specific question, no, time machine is NOT the best course of action. In time, as you add files, and thus to your TM backup, older TM backups will automatically be deleted to make space for them. Sure they will be there for a week or two, months or even years butas soon as you want to retrieve them they will have gone. Guaranteed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
Wow, I'm so appreciative for all the help. Unfortunately I'm a techno-dino so I can only ask questions and can't really offer much knowledge on the forum. Thanks for the replies. I'll put them to good use.
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Wow, I'm so appreciative for all the help. Unfortunately I'm a techno-dino so I can only ask questions and can't really offer much knowledge on the forum. Thanks for the replies. I'll put them to good use.chris

This site is such a success because of folks like yourself and the questions that are asked as most of us can gain some knowledge from the answers provided regardless of our Mac experience and knowledge.

So thanks to you and members like yourself, keep asking Mac-related questions.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.