Considering a PowerMac G5

Reaction score
Hi there, I currently own a 3GHz Core2Duo iMac which I enjoy using, but I've recently moved in my girlfriend who has an equally powerful PC and we've decided we don't need two powerful computers and it would make sense to sell one and replace it with a cheaper, less powerful machine. And the iMac is the more valuable of the two, so it's looking like it'll be the iMac which will be getting the chop.

Which brings me to my question, I'd like to keep a Mac in the household and I've got my eye on two PowerMac machines - A 1.8GHz dual-core G5 with 1.25Gb of RAM for £50 ($80) and a 2.0GHz dual-core G5 with 5Gb of RAM for £130 ($205).

I'm not sure what graphics cards are in the machines, I'll update the thread with that information if I get it.

Which of those machines is the better value for money? How much would it cost to upgrade the RAM on the 1.8GHz machine?

Both machines have 80Gb hard disks, which I'd want to upgrade to at least 500Gb, how much would that cost?

I'll be mainly using the machine I choose for webbrowing (Including viewing HD videos in YouTube) and viewing HD videos in Quicktime/VLC. I'll also occasionally use the following applications - Minecraft, Handbrake, uTorrent, Photoshop and Lightroom.

Would either machine be sufficient for the above uses?

And if the question is no, what would you recommend I buy on a £150 ($240) budget?

Thank you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi there, I currently own a 3GHz Core2Duo iMac which I enjoy using, but I've recently moved in my girlfriend who has an equally powerful PC and we've decided we don't need two powerful computers and it would make sense to sell one and replace it with a cheaper, less powerful machine. And the iMac is the more valuable of the two, so it's looking like it'll be the iMac which will be getting the chop.

Which brings me to my question, I'd like to keep a Mac in the household and I've got my eye on two PowerMac machines - A 1.8GHz dual-core G5 with 1.25Gb of RAM for £50 ($80) and a 2.0GHz dual-core G5 with 5Gb of RAM for £130 ($205).

I'm not sure what graphics cards are in the machines, I'll update the thread with that information if I get it.

Which of those machines is the better value for money? How much would it cost to upgrade the RAM on the 1.8GHz machine?

Both machines have 80Gb hard disks, which I'd want to upgrade to at least 500Gb, how much would that cost?

I'll be mainly using the machine I choose for webbrowing (Including viewing HD videos in YouTube) and viewing HD videos in Quicktime/VLC. I'll also occasionally use the following applications - Minecraft, Handbrake, uTorrent, Photoshop and Lightroom.

Would either machine be sufficient for the above uses?

And if the question is no, what would you recommend I buy on a £150 ($240) budget?

Thank you.

I would mentally apply the $240 budget to the cost difference between the PC and the iMac and sell the PC instead. You may miss out on a few dollars but will be money ahead in the long run IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you got Lightroom and Photoshop for the PC, that's a major budget concern if you ditch the imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yeah...don't do that. Keep your iMac, the PowerPC processor is dead, and getting more and more obsolete by the day, sure, it might be fine for the basics, but you don't want to limit yourself like that.

If you really do want to get rid of your iMac, you could try selling it and picking up an earlier C2D or CD Mac Mini, or go the PC route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not go backwards and buy a G5, especially an aged 1.8GHz DP which were first released way back in 2003. You will be bitterly disappointed with its performance and become frustrated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Just keep what you have. After all is said and done you'll end up with a much less powerful machine, and an obsolete one at that, for very little money gain. It just isn't worth it.

Work an extra shift, or write an extra article, or whatever it is you do for a living, and eat out one less meal. That's about what you're talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.