connecting iMac via Moca

Reaction score
I have MOCA and wondering if there is such a cable that will let me connect my iMac to the moca with a coax to gb ethernet?

I am assuming that moca is running through all the coax connections in my house since I have the tivo bolt in the living room that contains the moca adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 13" MBP, 16GB, 512G, 2011 13" MBP, 8GB, 256GB; 2012 Mini, 8GB, 128GB SSD, 500 GB HD, IPAD II
There is no simple cable.

Tivo sells a Moca adapter that will convert a coax cable carrying Moca to Ethernet which will plug into the IMac.
These adapters can also be had from EBAY, just beware of the older adapters that are not compatible

MOCA is much faster than WIFI if you already have the coax outlet. You need to have a working network with
POE filer at the cable entrance point, and with splitters (or an amplifier) that will pass MOCA.
You also have a setting to tell the BOLT to act as the MOCA bridge.
With this in place it will work great.

Good Luck
John

OP
C
Reaction score
I thought it was a cable. I see. I need the little converter thing to connect to the coax and then connect the ethernet cable to my iMac.
I don't think i needed the POE filter in my setup. I seem to remember when setting up the bolt years ago it wasn't necessary.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 13" MBP, 16GB, 512G, 2011 13" MBP, 8GB, 256GB; 2012 Mini, 8GB, 128GB SSD, 500 GB HD, IPAD II
With the adapter it should work. I use MOCA to support several TIVO Minis as well as a ROKU box.

I do not know of any case when you do not use the POE filter.
If you do not have it in place, your MOCA network could be accessed by your neighbors.
Unless the cable company installed a POE filter for you.

If you previously had their whole-house DVR (Which probably used MOCA) they may have put a POE filter in.

OP
C
Reaction score
My modem is an Arris TM804 that says it has an inbuilt moca filter. So i am assuming that's why it wasn't needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Between the cable modem and the cable entry point will be a splitter which sends coax to the cable modem/emt as well as to the rest of the coax network
in your home. the POE must be on the coax prior to that splitter. With MOCA, that coax becomes an extension of the ENET system. The MOCA performance
is also compromised without the POE, as it acts as a mirror for MOCA communication, rather than going out to the outside world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.