connecting ibook G4 to HDTV

Reaction score
I'm so confused... I've read through some of the older posts on this and I'm not sure what is the best cable configuration to watch online TV programming on our 720P HDTV. I just read that you need to get a mini DVI to DVI cable AND then a DVI to HDMI adapter and then run an HDMI to the TV. But on Amazon I just saw that there is a mini DVI to HDMI cable. Why would I want the adapter then???

I also understand that I need the 3.5mm RCA speaker cable for audio.

Anyway... what is the bottom line for the best solution here??

Also.. what is the deal with the quality of the signal going over any of these cables? Is it possible to get decent HD quality from the computer to the TV???

Reaction score
FYI. G4 iBooks support video mirroring to an external display at 1024 x 768 pixels.

G4 iBooks do not have a DVI port (mini or other) - they have a miniVGA port for which you can get a (1) miniVGA to VGA adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8639G/A) or (2) miniVGA to s-video/composite adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9109G/A) to get video out to a TV. If your HDTV has a VGA port use that connection; otherwise, go for s-video. As you mentioned, you will need a separate cable for audio - what you need will depend on your TV's audio input options.

Buy decent cables and keep 'em short - you should be happy with the video quality. Monoprice.com is a good source for quality cables at a great price - don't waste your money on "Monster" cables.

If you can use the miniVGA to VGA adapter I have these available - complete details, photos, etc. at http://stingme.com/sale

Hope this helps - good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay... so they use the same symbol for mini VGA that they use for mini DVI? Because I have a little monitor symbol that looks just like the mini DVI symbol...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
StingMe has it correct. There is not a single iBook that supports DVI out. Some of the G3 models had a VGA port, the balance all have mini-VGA. Here is a complete listing to check your specific model.

Before you even go to purchasing a cable, I would suggest opening up the owner's manual for your TV and check out the resolution capabilities of it's VGA port. All of the manufacturers, except some of the throw away brands and 1st gen models, will have a listing there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks folks... Are you suggesting that the res capabilities of that port might make it useless to even bother? What would be the minimum that I would go with on the TV's VGA port then???

OP
M
Reaction score
also...is it possible or is there any advantage to going from my mini VGA to HDMI???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not suggesting. It very well could render it unacceptable. Many of the early model HDTVs included a VGA port only as an afterthought and the resolutions were limited to 800x600 and 1024x768, e.g. 4:3 aspect ratio. Some of the new models will accept 1080 thru VGA. You're going to have to do the homework with the owners manaul for your TV to find out.

Going from VGA to HDMI will require a converter. Do not be scammed into paying $20-30 for a VGA to HDMI cable that will not work. A converter will run you anywhere from approx $100 to $250. Personally, I wouldn't buy any converter without finding some good user reviews on the product in question. Many of these will also allow you to combine the audio with the video into the HDMI.

While I can't vouch for this particular company, this article will provide you the basic related knowledge.

Reaction score
Okay... so they use the same symbol for mini VGA that they use for mini DVI? Because I have a little monitor symbol that looks just like the mini DVI symbol...

porticon_video.gif
is a generic video (monitor) port symbol.

VGA and DVI (both mini and standard) are pretty easy to tell apart:

tv-adaptors.jpg

Reaction score
also...is it possible or is there any advantage to going from my mini VGA to HDMI???

The advantage would be you could get a single adapter (if it exists) to combine audio and video into a single cable. The disadvantage would be it is going to cost a lot more than a $10-20 adapter and $5-10 in cables. I don't believe you will see any difference in the video quality.

To go from miniVGA to HDMI you might have to make several jumps - miniVGA to VGA, VGA to DVI, DVI to HDMI - which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

I have used a G4 iBook connected to several external display devices, both via VGA and s-video and have been perfectly happy with the results. YMMV of course :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The several adapter/cable jumps won't work. While starting to get kind of technical now:

All of the VGA to DVI adapters provide you with DVI-A or DVI-I connections. DVI-A is analog only. A DVI-I cable can provide both digital and analog, however, in the case of a VGA to DVI adapter, only the analog portion will function because that is the only signal being supplied to it. An adapter itself does not convert the analog signal to digital. It will require a converter for this. I believe monoprice actually has some VGA to DVI converters the size of adapters (priced in the $100 range).

In the case of DVI to HDMI, for this to work you must have the digital signal, or DVI-D out for it to work. Again, going from DVI-A or a DVI-I cable that is only carrying the analog signal, you'll get nothing out the end of the HDMI even if the two items can be connected to one another.

OP
M
Reaction score
okay.... thanks a lot. Last question... So if my VGA port is poor quality res, would my only option be to go the more expensive route of the vga/hdmi converter??? The cost could be justified as we would be cancelling our satellite tv service if this all works out...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked the iBooks - their max resolution output to a 2nd display is 1024 x 768.

Not necessarily poor quality, but it is 4:3 aspect and not sure that you'll have any 16:9 aspect ratios even available. I have not experimented with connecting any PPC Macs to a HDTV.

If you're hoping to get the same quality as either Dish or DirecTV, I think you'll be disappointed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well. ****. I guess the next option then is to run a longer cable from our desktop iMac which is a newer machine (2007 intel based)... I'm at work and don't know the exact specs... but I'm assuming a higher quality output. And perhaps a mini DVI?? I guess I will check when I get home.

Reaction score
The cost could be justified as we would be cancelling our satellite tv service if this all works out...

IMHO, a G4 iBook is not the best choice for what you are trying to accomplish - how much do you spend on sat tv right now? Seems to me you could pay for a new or new-ish Mac mini within a year and this would be a much better option at $3-600 or so.

Good Luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah... that has become clear now. But what about my 2007 iMac??? But I would need to run about 25 feet of cable....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used HDMI cables up to 16' without issue. I've seen plenty of reports at 25-35' without issue. At 50' and above, it seems to depend on the device. With most that are using above 50' also incorporating a signal repeater into the line.

You should be good at that length. It would be a good test for a month or so to see if there really is enough between the net and your local over-the-air stations for you to eliminate your satellite/cable. The savings wouldn't take long to pay for a mac mini or a dedicated Win 7 HTPC (which is what I use).

When you figure out what connection your iMac has, head over to monoprice.com for your adapter/cabling needs - adapter and 25' cable and read the reviews so you know what to expect.

For specs on any Mac, head here. For a listing of all ports on your Mac head down to the USB section and click on Ports there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I do have full size DVI port on my iMac... and only s-video and comps on the TV. So either I get a long DVI-HDMI... Or I buy a mini Mac. I'm leaning towards the miniMac.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have full size DVI port on my iMac...

As far as I am aware, every iMac from the introduction of Intel in Jan '06 through March of '09 when the port was changed to the mini-display port had mini-DVI.

and only s-video and comps on the TV.

What is comps - composite or component?

So either I get a long DVI-HDMI... Or I buy a mini Mac. I'm leaning towards the miniMac.....

If you don't have an available HDMI on the TV, don't comprehend why even discuss getting a HDMI cable???

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay... Here is something. We were considering an iPad a while ago and I just saw that through the dock connector you can get VGA that supports 1024 x 768. So why not an iPad? Not the cheapest route... but it is a great excuse for me to get one perhaps?

OP
M
Reaction score
I just saw your other post... Oh... I do have HDMI on the TV. I just meant that I had s-video and components... not VGA.

And the DVI port looks so large I assumed it was reg DVI. I'm probably wrong...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.