connecting a mac to a mac

Reaction score
Hi
I just bought a mac book pro and am trying to move my info from my old computer which is a first generation macbook, which has the mouse tracking pad broken and stuck on select which is not allowing me to move my files onto my new computer. I have tried using a wired mouse but this does not work either. I know there is a way to connect them to move the files over but I forget how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi
I just bought a mac book pro and am trying to move my info from my old computer which is a first generation macbook, which has the mouse tracking pad broken and stuck on select which is not allowing me to move my files onto my new computer. I have tried using a wired mouse but this does not work either. I know there is a way to connect them to move the files over but I forget how to do this.

Hello - please provide further information: 1) What is your new MBPro (year); 2) What old computer do you own (model/year/OS X); and 3) Do you have a backup of your old computer, i.e. Time Machine? If the latter, then the Migration Assistant may help - let me stop there to allow you to consider and respond. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm a bit surprised that a wired mouse doesn't work, but even if it did you're still going to need some more adapters if your new MBPro, like all recent models doesn't have Firewire or Ethernet ports.

So you'll probably need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, and as they only have FW 800 connection. you'll need a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter and a FW 400 cable.

TB-FW adapter about $30.00 from Apple
FW800-FW400 adapter about $30.00
FW 400 cable about $20.00±

Then with all that, you can boot the old MB into Target Disk Mode and connect the two Macs, and the old MB should mount and act like an external hard drive, then you can move stuff etc.

I just had to do the same thing with an older 2006 iMac and a new iMac. And a bit of a PITA as well and a loooong time to Migrate stuff, and a lot that didn't work and update properly. More PITA stuff but finally succeeded after a 10.10.2 update and many hours of intense work!!

Sorry, but just a heads up warning and no thanks to Yosemite until it was updated to the latest OS.
:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just had to do the same thing with an older 2006 iMac and a new iMac. And a bit of a PITA as well and a loooong time to Migrate stuff, and a lot that didn't work and update properly. More PITA stuff but finally succeeded after a 10.10.2 update and many hours of intense work!!

Why didn't you use Time Machine? I've migrated now four times from an older Mac to a newer one and Time Machine does it much faster (depending on the amount of data).

OP
N
Reaction score
RadDave
The macbook is about 10m years old I don't have it with me so I am not sure of the the operating system (I can find out later today if this is crucial), the macbook pro is a week old. I don't have time machine on the macbook book.

pm-r
Yes thank you, this is what I have done before I remember now. After I buy the adapters how can I set this up, remembering the fact that I am unable to use the mouse function on the older mac to select and drag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
RadDave
The macbook is about 10m years old I don't have it with me so I am not sure of the the operating system (I can find out later today if this is crucial), the macbook pro is a week old. I don't have time machine on the macbook book.

pm-r
Yes thank you, this is what I have done before I remember now. After I buy the adapters how can I set this up, remembering the fact that I am unable to use the mouse function on the older mac to select and drag.

Hi again - if possible the old Macbook model/year along w/ the OS X installed would certainly be helpful to provide more specific suggestions; also the same information on your new Macbook (assume that you're on Yosemite?).

Do you have a home network w/ file sharing? Assume that w/ the age differences between these computers, you just want to get your 'personal' files onto the new machine - correct? Of course, a last resort would be to remove the old HD, place in an external enclosure and attach to your new laptop - the people at OWC can help, if our hardware 'gurus' chime in w/ that advice. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why didn't you use Time Machine? I've migrated now four times from an older Mac to a newer one and Time Machine does it much faster (depending on the amount of data).

That would have been impossible on a iMac running 10.4.x considering that Time Machine didn't show up until Leopard 10.5.x. :D

As it was, I had to upgrade it to SL 10.6.8 and update Mail, iPhoto etc. just to get Migration Assistant to even work with the new iMac.

It also didn't help that a dialog came up saying Airport Utility didn't support setting up a new Airport Express with the older iMac updated to SL 10.6.8 to get some networking established!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave

pm-r

All you'll need is the ability to press the command+T keys on the old Mac to put it into Target Disk Mode.
It will then mount on the new Mac just like an external drive. Or should… ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help so far. I got into target mode and was able to transfer a couple of folders before the transfer froze up. I have tried rebooting the old macbook but now all I get is a blank blue screen. I am in a nightmare situation as I am unable to do anything at all and all I can think is that I may have lost everything!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like it's time to pull the old HDD (hard drive) from the old Mac and stick it in a compatible external enclosure or use one of the SATA adapters:
NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB 3.0 -... in stock at OWC

Then prey a lot or even change your religion if needed as I gather you didn't have any close to current backup — if any.

Sorry, no tears here if that is the case… :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then prey a lot or even change your religion if needed

Don't you just love spell checkers? ;P (sorry, couldn't resist)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you just love spell checkers? ;P (sorry, couldn't resist)

Thanks chscag, but just maybe it might actually be appropriate in this case. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.