Connect my DSLR to my mini

Reaction score
I have a Nikon D5000. It has a mini-HDMI connector. My monitor has only 1 HDMI connector. My mini has only 1 HDMI connector. I can connect my camera to either the monitor or to the mini. I'm trying to figure out how to connect my camera so that I can focus the camera in real-time. I have about 900 35mm slides & I want to digitize them so that I can trash the slides. If I connect my camera to the monitor, I can focus the camera, but I can't capture the image of the slide. If I connect the camera to the mini I won't be able to view the image. The mini isn't using the Thunderbolt connector. The monitor has a DVI connector. I suppose that I can get a Thunderbolt to DVI cable & connect the mini to the monitor. I can connect the camera to the mini with an HDMI cable & then connect the mini to the monitor with a Thunderbolt to DVI cable. Would that work without complications? Of course, I need some kind of image capture software. Does Yosemite come with image capture software?

A couple of other alternatives are to get a 35mm slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that will scan slides.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You would not connect the HDMI from the Nikon to the Mac Mini - the HDMI port on the MM is an ouput port, not an input port.

The rest I can't help you with.

OP
D
Reaction score
You would not connect the HDMI from the Nikon to the Mac Mini - the HDMI port on the MM is an ouput port, not an input port.

The rest I can't help you with.
The Thunderbolt port is also an output port, right? I hadn't considered that the HDMI & the Thunderbolt ports are output not input. DUH! So, I can hook my camera up to the monitor to view images on my camera, but that's it.

OK. I'll have to scratch the idea of hooking up my camera to the mini & go with one of the other options.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
HDMI is a video/audio port only. As such, similar to all other video ports, you either have an input or ouput port depending on the device.

The TB port doubles as an audio/video ouput plus a data port (2 way) like USB and FireWire except more bandwidth.

Camera does not have a USB port on it?
You will likely need some sort of software to go along with it.
But, I'm not a photographer.

Mod may want to move this to the 'Images, Graphic Design & Digital Photography' forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A couple of other alternatives are to get a 35mm slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that will scan slides.
That would be the normal way. How were you intending to do it?

OP
D
Reaction score
HDMI is a video/audio port only. As such, similar to all other video ports, you either have an input or ouput port depending on the device.

The TB port doubles as an audio/video ouput plus a data port (2 way) like USB and FireWire except more bandwidth.

Camera does not have a USB port on it?
You will likely need some sort of software to go along with it.
But, I'm not a photographer.

Mod may want to move this to the 'Images, Graphic Design & Digital Photography' forum.
The camera has a mini(micro?) USB port & an HDMI port.
I watched a YouTube video where the narrator used a Macro lens & a bellows. I don't want to go to that expense. So, I'd either get a standalone slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that can scan slides.

OP
D
Reaction score
Alrighty, then.

For me, this concludes this post. I was hoping that I could use my camera to take pictures of my slides.

I'll have to either choose a standalone slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that can scan slides.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Alrighty, then.

For me, this concludes this post. I was hoping that I could use my camera to take pictures of my slides.

I'll have to either choose a standalone slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that can scan slides.

Thank you for your help.

You could USB tether your camera, assuming it support USB tethered shooting.

OP
D
Reaction score

The camera does have a mini(micro?)USB port. There's still the problem of actually taking pictures of the slides. The only way that I know of to take pictures of the slides with the camera is to get a Macro lens & a bellows & manually focus the slide onto the sensor. Macro lenses are expensive. I'm looking for a cheaper method to take pictures of the slides. There are only 2 methods that I know of. Either use a standalone slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that can scan slides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

The camera does have a mini(micro?)USB port. There's still the problem of actually taking pictures of the slides. The only way that I know of to take pictures of the slides with the camera is to get a Macro lens & a bellows & manually focus the slide onto the sensor. Macro lenses are expensive. I'm looking for a cheaper method to take pictures of the slides. There are only 2 methods that I know of. Either use a standalone slide scanner or upgrade my printer to one that can scan slides.

Yep, I settled on a slide scanner (I also scan negatives with it) for this.. it's not a cheap option.. but if you don't have the other required equipment.. it may well be a much better one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.