Connect iMac to iPad

Reaction score
I want to do maintenance, clean up my wife's iPad using my iMac. Both Machines are on the same network.

How do I connect the two? If I can do this it will make doing all the maintenance clean up easier.

Using Connect to Server on iMac does not display her iPad.

Comments.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us what kind of maintenance do you need to do on her iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Usually, you connect using the Lightning cord that comes with the iPad. You have to do that, before the iMac will recognize the iPad.

Please tell us about both the iMac and the iPad? Which specific OS versions are they using?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
R
Reaction score
iMac El Capitan, IOS 13.3.1, iPad Air 2, Her iPad is a mess, hundreds of pictures, tunes, notes, needs a complete cleanup. Using an iMac would make it much easier to clean than fussing with the iPad.

I have her in an separate user account on the iMac so I thought this should be easy since it is all iCloud connected.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What model year is the iMac? El Capitan is an older OS, so it may not connect to the newer iPadOS version.

You will be able to sync using iTunes, but clearing/cleaning may need to be done on the iPad, since your OS X is older.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Using an iMac would make it much easier to clean than fussing with the iPad.
Not sure about that. Your iMac can back up the iPad, but I don't think there are any tools to do the clearing/cleaning from iMac to iPad. For example, there is no real way to see the files on the iPad from the iMac, like a Finder view. You can do some work in iTunes, but as Bob said, El Cap is pretty old and may not connect to an iPad at 13.3.1.

Good luck with it, though. I suspect you are going to end up having to do the work on the iPad itself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iMac El Capitan, IOS 13.3.1, iPad Air 2, Her iPad is a mess, hundreds of pictures, tunes, notes, needs a complete cleanup. Using an iMac would make it much easier to clean than fussing with the iPad.

I have her in an separate user account on the iMac so I thought this should be easy since it is all iCloud connected.

Thanks

Just backup her iPad to iTunes and iCloud, then do a reset of it. After the reset, it will be a lot easier to remove or not install what she no longer needs.

You can not do any kind of maintenance on her iPad from your iMac; only syncing with iTunes.

Just make sure you have backed up things she needs such as her photos and music before resetting the iPad.

OP
R
Reaction score
Good Ideas, thanks for the responses, helpful. Myself not an iPad fan, cumbersome, not flexible, and does not integrate well with other Apple OS's.

In my opinion you should be able to operate your iPad from your Mac on the same network. You can do that with Android and Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to, you can upgrade to a newer Mac OS version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, rim45, what is it you want to do on the iPad? There are some shortcuts to accomplish things without having to go one at a time. You mentioned "hundreds of pictures, tunes, notes," but what do you mean by "clean" of those? All of those are somewhat manageable through the iMac if you upgrade to Catalina, maybe Mojave. The idea is to get your iMac macOS version to one compatible with iPadOS 13.3.1. Then you can manage the iPad through Finder, I think, or maybe iTunes. It depends on whether you go to Catalina or not, I think. But El Cap is just too old to connect to that iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Then you can manage the iPad through Finder, I think, or maybe iTunes. It depends on whether you go to Catalina or not, I think. But El Cap is just too old to connect to that iPad.
fog

Hmmm...??? that's odd and not quite true, that combination works quite well with my wife's iPad Air2 and her 2011 El Capitan 27" iMac.

And we are about to do some maintenance and cleanup over the next few days. At least it's on the 'round to-it list.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, maybe it will connect. I don't have a system that old to test, but El Cap still had iTunes, iOS 13 doesn't use it. Not sure how that would work, but if you say it does and have the setup, then I'll step out of this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick, maybe it will connect. I don't have a system that old to test, but El Cap still had iTunes, iOS 13 doesn't use it. Not sure how that would work, but if you say it does and have the setup, then I'll step out of this thread.

If I remember Jake, I'll come back and update this thread if I find anything really drastic after we've done some sorting and cleanup etcetera on the iPad Air 2, but it may not be today, even though it's on the to do list.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I agree with chscag whom I’ve always found most helpful. My wife had problems with her mini iPad (iOS 9.3.5). I backed up all her pix to her iMac then reset her iPad and reinstalled everything she needed from scratch. The only things she reaLly needs it for is to download TV programs and her daily newspaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.