Confused About Backup Space

M

MacInWin

SL costs about $20US. You can order online and they'll ship to you. You MAY be able to pick it up in the store, but I'd call first to see if they have one in stock.

OP
M
Reaction score
SL costs about $20US. You can order online and they'll ship to you. You MAY be able to pick it up in the store, but I'd call first to see if they have one in stock.

Oh wow, I was thinking something like a hundred bucks. Probably a good idea to do that then!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
You can use Malware apps to get rid of malware from your system. But since you haven't done maintenance, and probably have a bunch of malware, and maybe even some virus, it's probably just better to wipe your drive and reinstall the OS. Honestly, don't even bother going to a Genius till you've done this. It will save you time, and money. And you'll learn along the way as well.

If reformatting and reinstalling doesn't help, then take it to Apple. Avoid getting ripped off first. ;-)

As MacInWin mentioned, install at least SL. Tiger is outdated, and no longer supported. Most software for Mac these days require at least SL. But more and more are requiring Lion, which is actually crap, so you might as well install ML. Or if your feeling really adventurous, install Mavericks. It's free. Stable? Well, I guess it depends on who's viewing it. lol Some like it, some don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon

You won't be able to pick up directly from the store. At least not SL. You'll have to either send away for a USB flashdrive with the OS on it (3-4 weeks), or you can download it and make a bootable flashdrive of your own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You won't be able to pick up directly from the store. At least not SL. You'll have to either send away for a USB flashdrive with the OS on it (3-4 weeks), or you can download it and make a bootable flashdrive of your own.

I've never heard of such a practice, at least not legally.

Apple will ship the latest Snow Leopard version on disk that they have available to ones home or mail address.

There's no legal SL download available. Other than any available 10.6.x updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
I've never heard of such a practice, at least not legally.

Apple will ship the latest Snow Leopard version on disk that they have available to ones home or mail address.

There's no legal SL download available. Other than any available 10.6.x updates.

The last I read about SL, you can still purchase and they will SHIP to you. Takes 3-4 weeks. Or you can download it from Apple. Like you can download Mavericks. I guess the latter is outdated info, but that is the last I heard of.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The last I read about SL, you can still purchase and they will SHIP to you. Takes 3-4 weeks. Or you can download it from Apple. Like you can download Mavericks. I guess the latter is outdated info, but that is the last I heard of.

Apple has never allowed Snow Leopard to be downloaded. It has always and still is only available on a single DVD for the retail version (white with picture of Snow Leopard) or two DL DVDs (silver - gray) for the install recovery version. Only from Lion on to the present has Apple allowed downloading OS X. Any download of Snow Leopard is illegal and likely a pirated copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hmmm...??? I called Apple a year ago about SL 10.6.7 for my late 2011 27" iMac and they sent me a copy that arrived within two days, and as for any compatible SL download, you'd have to supply the URL - but only a legal site thanks.

You need to get your facts correct before posting. Please!!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Can someone shed light on this problem for me? I am backing up all my Iphotos and documents onto a flash drive. When I go into 'Get Info' for my Documents folder, the size says it's 17.5 G, and my Itunes Library comes in at 6.75 G. When I transferred everything over to the 32g USB, only 4g of space has been used on it. I checked and all my photos and documents were transferred successfully. Did I miss something? Why did all of this add up to only 4g when it should have been about 24g?

Thanks!

I know people are going to get sick of me preaching but for the relatively minor cost and ongoing advantages why not grab a 500 Gb USB hard drive and do a full backup using Time Machine? That way you can do a complete restore if your HD crashes.:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know people are going to get sick of me preaching but for the relatively minor cost and ongoing advantages why not grab a 500 Gb USB hard drive and do a full backup using Time Machine? That way you can do a complete restore if your HD crashes.:[

Or even use CCC and end up with a bootable clone, but Heaven forbid on such a suggestion Rod and stop an ongoing seemingly unstoppable thread heading for 50 posts and looks like maybe forever.

Good heavens Rod, what are you suggesting...??? ;) ;) :D

Or maybe even use both CCC and TM...??? And stop looking or checking all the various file/folder sizes... which will no doubt vary... ahhhhh.... ;)

Reaction score
Flashdrive

Can someone shed light on this problem for me? I am backing up all my Iphotos and documents onto a flash drive. When I go into 'Get Info' for my Documents folder, the size says it's 17.5 G, and my Itunes Library comes in at 6.75 G. When I transferred everything over to the 32g USB, only 4g of space has been used on it. I checked and all my photos and documents were transferred successfully. Did I miss something? Why did all of this add up to only 4g when it should have been about 24g?

Thanks!

Nothing to worry about, the Mac uses the HFS system, so if you copy documents or music files to a USB flash drive, they don't take up as much space on that smaller drive than they do on your computer's hard drive.

Jim
England, UK
Mac user since 1992.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Apple has never allowed Snow Leopard to be downloaded. It has always and still is only available on a single DVD for the retail version (white with picture of Snow Leopard) or two DL DVDs (silver - gray) for the install recovery version. Only from Lion on to the present has Apple allowed downloading OS X. Any download of Snow Leopard is illegal and likely a pirated copy.

Gotcha. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Hmmm...??? I called Apple a year ago about SL 10.6.7 for my late 2011 27" iMac and they sent me a copy that arrived within two days, and as for any compatible SL download, you'd have to supply the URL - but only a legal site thanks.

You need to get your facts correct before posting. Please!!

Those are the "facts" that I recall reading. Maybe you should slow it down before you pop a vein. It's not a life or death comment. lol ;-)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Or even use CCC and end up with a bootable clone, but Heaven forbid on such a suggestion Rod and stop an ongoing seemingly unstoppable thread heading for 50 posts and looks like maybe forever.

Good heavens Rod, what are you suggesting...??? ;) ;) :D

Or maybe even use both CCC and TM...??? And stop looking or checking all the various file/folder sizes... which will no doubt vary... ahhhhh.... ;)

I was trying to be conservative there, don't want to frighten people away with too many options so I'm using the KISS method now.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.