• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Concerning GUNS and Virginia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Since we're obviously going to talk about it, let us let the original threat contain what it is for, discussion of the event and its victims, not a discussion of gun laws and possession rights. I recommend that any debates take place here.

EDIT: Also, to whoever gave negative points to all that discussed gun control, you could have perhaps made a recommendation, a new thread, something constructive...I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Disregard the neg rep... My guess is it's from the same person that left me neg rep as well... No name left... so who cares. I figure if they can't leave their name, it carries no weight.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I just made my post, gave a +rep to walmartconnect. I'm pro gun, but didn't care to mix politics w/ grief in the other thread. Virtual rep to RIDE for starting the original thread, as I can't give him anymore for now.
icon14.gif

I probably won't add to this thread. I don't argue politics very well and don't suffer those who don't have sufficient self-reliance and self-respect to protect themselves, their families, or their friends. I may seem easy going in real life, but do anything to harm me, my family, my friends, or my country, and you will see the wolverine in me. Promise.

Reaction score
I don't really understand where the logic disconnect is. A guy picks up a gun (or multiple guns) and goes on a rampage at a place where guns are already not allowed. How can this possibly result in a call for more gun control? This guy wasn't going to say "gee, guns are illegal; I guess I better not go on a rampage." Murder is illegal too, you know. More laws is not the answer.

While students and professors carrying concealed firearms would have largely prevented this tragedy, you do have to consider whether more guns on campus would cause more problems than it would prevent. Personally, I think allowing responsible and trained individuals to carry firearms would have a far more positive than negative impact. As was proven today, there is no such thing as a gun-free location if someone decides they want to carry one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I don't really understand where the logic disconnect is. A guy picks up a gun (or multiple guns) and goes on a rampage at a place where guns are already not allowed. How can this possibly result in a call for more gun control? This guy wasn't going to say "gee, guns are illegal; I guess I better not go on a rampage." Murder is illegal too, you know. More laws is not the answer.

While students and professors carrying concealed firearms would have largely prevented this tragedy, you do have to consider whether more guns on campus would cause more problems than it would prevent. Personally, I think allowing responsible and trained individuals to carry firearms would have a far more positive than negative impact. As was proven today, there is no such thing as a gun-free location if someone decides they want to carry one.

Well said...

For some reason a lot of people think "Gun Free Zone" means it's a safe place... The truth is that criminals read these signs as "No law abiding citizen will shoot you if you commit a crime here... YOU the criminal will be the only person with a gun."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Thanks for the new thread.
I just don't see how people canNOT comprehend that taking away guns from law-abiding citizens equals ONLY criminals (and law enforcement) having guns?! This turns average citizens into sitting ducks and gives criminals security/confidence that said average citizens are unable to stop them.
Crime Statistic Article

I take too long previewing my posts!

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"No law abiding citizen will shoot you if you commit a crime here... YOU the criminal will be the only person with a gun."

I recommend that everyone talk to their local legislators and ask that they change the signage to state this as it is far more accurate than "Gun free zone!"

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I think allowing responsible and trained individuals to carry firearms would have a far more positive than negative impact.

Someone will always point out the one responsible person out of a million that goes gun crazy and tell you that is why no one can own a gun. I would recommend that you point out all of the drivers issued state drivers licenses that go on to commit vehicular manslaughter due to negligent driving practices.

With the proper training and background check, why shouldn't someone be authorized to go almost anywhere with a handgun?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
*Edit* I retract my statement. I realized I was speaking mostly out of anger and grief. It's been a really emotional day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think that if everybody had a gun, criminals would not be going on armed robberies, rampages, and random murders and shootings. They would think "hey theres a person over there, and he'll shoot back" instead of "That person is a witness and will call the cops, so i'll have to kill him too"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think we could have lived without this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I've been "debating" this elsewhere on other sites, and at this moment I think it's unfair to have ago at either the US's or Virginia State Gun Laws not because I'm pro-guns but because we don't know any of the key facts.

-How he acquired a Gun? (Legal or Illegal)
-Where was he able to gain so much Ammo and Weaponry without raising suspicion from either Friends or Family?
-But most importantly what drove a man to do this kind of behaviour?

This are things that need be asked over the next few days and weeks. However calling him a Coward I think is a step too far, I don't know why he done or his motivation and I could never justify it either but I would suspect he was suffering from a Mental Illness and obviously wasn't fit for mainstream society but then you have to question again.

Was this behaviour shown up before and if so why was nothing done about. Following up what someone from the UK said about comparing the US and the Rest of the World is a bit small minded. You could argue that maybe he wouldn't of been able to kill so many but to argue that he wouldn't of done something similar or tried to is small minded.

We have exprienced this kind of stuff in the UK before, not on such a scale as this but it has and unfortunately does happen. What we really need to do is do research into what causes this type of behaviour and find signs or patterns in other individuals to be able to spot it sooner.

----

To people that say this is a bad idea (ie. This Thread), I think it's just dealing with the fact that people will want to discuss the causes of the events, how to stop these kind of things in future and whats drives people to do this kind of thing. It shows no disrespect to either the families or friends of victims, if anything it just highlights how important people see this and that they want to prevant it from happening again. So no more innocent life's are lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To people that say this is a bad idea (ie. This Thread), I think it's just dealing with the fact that people will want to discuss the causes of the events, how to stop these kind of things in future and whats drives people to do this kind of thing. It shows no disrespect to either the families or friends of victims, if anything it just highlights how important people see this and that they want to prevant it from happening again. So no more innocent life's are lost.

I fully understand, but as the thread says "Not just anything goes in Anything Goes".

I think some topics are best left alone in a forum such as this. We've already had one member choose to leave because he didn't like how a thread ended, I don;t think we need to keep pushing for more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I think that's pathetic to say the least, in life you will always find someone that has a different take on things and see things differently that's what so great about Community Websites it gives you that other view.

Which I think most people can understand, obviously if there was name calling or threats that's not on. However I'm not sure form what I've read so far why anyone would wish to leave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I think that's pathetic to say the least, in life you will always find someone that has a different take on things and see things differently that's what so great about Community Websites it gives you that other view.

Which I think most people can understand, obviously if there was name calling or threats that's not on. However I'm not sure form what I've read so far why anyone would wish to leave.

Sorry if you think my POV is pathetic. I'm just trying to avoid the inevitable outcome of this thread when people start disagreeing. We already have one gun thread, why do we need another? Some topics have no real place in a forum like this.

Now, if you want a real debate we'll have one, your call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. If you truly feel the need to take advantage of this terrible situation to once again dredge up the guns vs no guns debate, please use one of the existing threads, we certainly do not need yet another thread opened about guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.