Computer to TV ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
What is required to watch movies on my computer through my TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Need to know what you want, exactly. Do you mean attaching your computer to the TV with a cable? Or, attaching some device to the TV, and using that to transfer and play movies stored on your computer? Or, streaming movies off the internet, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What is required to watch movies on my computer through my TV?

As already posted, you need to provide a LOT more information: 1) What computer & OS are your using; 2) What TV do you own; 3) Do you want a wireless or cabled solution; and 4) Do you have a Wi-Fi home network - a few more questions, but let's start there - Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Note that this type of arrangement may not play nice with your TV if you plan to use Netflix with an external display source and a connection medium that doesn't support HDCP. How are you planning on connecting your TV to your Mac?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
How are you planning on connecting your TV to your Mac?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. :[

And here I thought I had a simple question for once.

Yosemite 10.10 on my Mac.

Yes the TV has HDMI inputs. The TV is a 3 year old Vizio. Ultimately, I'd like to use the computer like a ROKU in my RV.

No need for wireless. (unless by some profoundly unlikely freak of nature that's somehow easier)

Last night we were watching Netflx on a 13" computer screen. The TV isn't that much bigger, but big enough for the RV.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which Mac are we dealing with here? That will make a difference in how the connection is done. Also, wht is the model of the TV? Some models almost insist that a computer be connected to a specific port on the TV.

C

chas_m

Any particular reason why you don't want to simplify things by using either a Roku or an Apple TV? I see that the latter is going on sale for $79 in various electronics stores -- I imagine a 4K-compatible revamp is coming soon, but that's of no interest if you're not planning to replace your HDTV anytime in the foreseeable future.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vizio model E190VA

Computer is listed to the left

I was hoping there was some sort of standard. I should have know better

k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Ya, there are several standards.

This cable will give you video for sure, some other expert will have to comment on whether the audio will work via Thunderbolt/mini displayport. (It's supposed to - but I haven't done this)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CAJU8W/?tag=macforums0e4-20

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here are 9, what I would call, "standard" video connections in use today:

Composite
VGA
Component
DVI which incl's DVI-A (analog only), DVI-D (digital only) and DVI-I (analog and digital)
DisplayPort and mini displayport
HDMI

(Europe has yet another connection on their TVs which I don't recall the name of)
(Apple used their own proprietary connection in the past, and can add to the above list mini-VGA and mini-DVI)

For connecting to HDMI see:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...dapter-cables-connecting-mac-tv-via-hdmi.html

For all other TV connections, see:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

hempomatic:
The cable gsahli linked to will work for you. Cable Matters typically makes good cables, although, I prefer the Amazon Basics when they are available. I also recommend monoprice.com for cables. You should be able to find that cable in lengths from 3' to 15' easily.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your help. I did a search, but for whatever reason came up with no matches to the search which I thought was odd. There is another forum I'm a member of that also shows no matches but only when I use Safari. When I use Aviator, the searches yield results. HMMMM. Anyway .......

.......... I appreciate your indulgence.

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks everyone for your help. I did a search, but for whatever reason came up with no matches to the search which I thought was odd. There is another forum I'm a member of that also shows no matches but only when I use Safari. When I use Aviator, the searches yield results. HMMMM. Anyway .......

.......... I appreciate your indulgence.

Hi Ken - the answers and links already given provide an easy solution, i.e. your MBPro does not have an HDMI port (my early 2013 MBPro w/ retina display does, so a standard HDMI cable would work for me). But you'll need another solution, and the mini-display port to HDMI adapter is your best choice - some information HERE - check the Apple store or Amazon - good luck. Dave :)

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picked up a mini display to HDMI cable, works great resizes my desktop a bit and decreases my font size, but ultimately does exactly what I need.

Thanks

ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.