Computer died, need a new one...

Reaction score
Hi there, so my OLD computer that I only kept around for an old FCP7 project died on me and I need to access the project. It looks like I need to buy a “new” computer. Does anyone know what model/OS I should look for... and where? Thank you so much in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi there, so my OLD computer that I only kept around for an old FCP7 project died on me and I need to access the project. It looks like I need to buy a “new” computer. Does anyone know what model/OS I should look for... and where? Thank you so much in advance.

- What model old computer are we talking about?
- What went wrong with it?
- What are the system requirements for FCP7...if you wanted to continue this project on a different working computer?
- What model/OS should you look for?? I don't know. What form factor computer do you prefer (notebook or desktop)? What OS does FCP7 require?
- Where should you buy the computer? Don't know. Not sure you're talking about a new computer or a used computer (makes a difference where you buy it).

Need a lot more info before we can help.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi. Thank you. Let’s see:

I’m not sure what the model was, it was a desktop, about 10 years old, it was running 10.5.something.

It just stopped turning on one day, I have asked the forum for help and nothing worked. I just get a gray screen, Apple logo and a loading wheel, for ever.

I have plugged my primary drive into another computer and am able to pull up files, so I’m not sure what is wrong with it.

System requirements for fcp7 are:
Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of RAM (2GB of RAM recommended when working with compressed HD and uncompressed SD sources; 4GB of RAM recommended when working with uncompressed HD sources)
ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor. Integrated Intel graphics processors are not supported except the Intel HD Graphics 3000.
128MB of VRAM
Display with 1280-by-800 resolution or higher
Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later
QuickTime 7.6 or later
DVD drive for installation

Whatever works the best, I don’t care if it’s a laptop or a desktop.

I don’t care if it’s new or used.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you still have the computer so you can tell us what model it is/was? Was it an all-in-one iMac?...was it a tower model Apple computer...was it a Mac-Mini?

Probably the best approach is to see what the newest OS version that FCP7 can run with...then get the newest computer possible that can still run that OS. Got to be creative when talking about using 10 year old software.:)

Another thing. What about a budget. How much do you have budgeted for this computer purchase...since that will also narrow the possibilities if the budget is modest.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you still have the computer so you can tell us what model it is/was? Was it an all-in-one iMac?...was it a tower model Apple computer...was it a Mac-Mini?

Probably the best approach is to see what the newest OS version that FCP7 can run with...then get the newest computer possible that can still run that OS. Got to be creative when talking about using 10 year old software.:)

Another thing. What about a budget. How much do you have budgeted for this computer purchase...since that will also narrow the possibilities if the budget is modest.

- Nick

H! Thanks! So it looks like it is a:
Model No: A1289 EMC
Mac Pro 2.4_8CX/6X1G/1TB/5770/SD - USA!

I wish I could fix it!

So price IS an issue. the cheeper the better.

I know it can run on 10.5 and 10.6 anything above or below kinda suuuucks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model No: A1289 EMC
Mac Pro 2.4_8CX/6X1G/1TB/5770/SD - USA!

I wish I could fix it!

Yes that was...and probably still is a pretty decent computer. As you know it's a desktop MacPro tower computer.

It's actually from 2010...thus about 8 years old (not 10). 2 years can make a big difference.:)

So price IS an issue. the cheeper the better.

Sorry...but this doesn't really help. Cost could vary widely. Above you said you don't care if a different working computer was new or used. If we went new...that could mean $1000, $1500, or $2000 dollars. You gotta establish some boundries for us.:)

If price really IS an issue...then we probably shouldn't be thinking new at all.

I know it can run on 10.5 and 10.6 anything above or below kinda suuuucks.

No new Apple computer can even come close to running such an old macOS as 10.5 or 10.6. Last Apple computer that could run 10.5 is probably something from 2007 or 2008. And last computer that can run 10.6 is probably from 2010/2011.

You do realize that the latest macOS is 10.13...thus 7-8 OS versions newer that 10.5/10.6.

Why do you say anything above or below 10.5/10.6 sucks? These OS's are from the 2007 & 2009. Can't live in the past forever.;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I really wish I could get onto the compute to see what OS I was running. I thought it was 10.5 or 10.6 and that anything more recent gave fcp issues. I really don't know though. Maybe I should just take this thing into a shop first.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It probably was running one of those OS version's. If you MUST use FCP7...then you got to run an OS version that it works with. It's possible it may run ok with a slightly newer OS version.

I only added the additional comments because you said..."I know it can run on 10.5 and 10.6 anything above or below kinda suuuucks." I guess I didn't understand what was meant by "sucks". lol

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dennis for the info. I was going to look that up shortly...great to hear that the OP can get a much newer computer that will still run FCP7:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
It probably was running one of those OS version's. If you MUST use FCP7...then you got to run an OS version that it works with. It's possible it may run ok with a slightly newer OS version.

I only added the additional comments because you said..."I know it can run on 10.5 and 10.6 anything above or below kinda suuuucks." I guess I didn't understand what was meant by "sucks". lol

- Nick

Gotcha! I ended up taking the computer in, might just need a new hard drive. Now I have to figure out the best OS to run on it... and YES FCP7 is the only reason I have this box, to run one single 10 year old project. It's an epic!

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh! Interesting. Thank you. I was afraid to go over Lion. Do you know of any benefit to jump Lion and go to Maverick? I will add that aside from using Safari to upload a video file, the one and only thing I use this computer for is this one Final Cut Pro 7 project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.