Compose key?

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a way to get a unix-style compose key in Macos (Monterey). In Windows, I use WinCompose and this works really well. The compose key works regardless of the active keyboard layout, and I can use the altgr key as the compose key without it losing its primary function as a keyboard modifier. It is a huge time-saver for me. For instance I can type Turkish or Romanian words without having to activate a Turkish or Romanian keyboard layout, and I can type symbols, such as arrows, that aren't in any keyboard layout that I am aware of.

Unfortunately, the instructions I have found online for setting up a compose key on a Mac are really complicated, incomplete (they tell you to create configuration files, but not where they should be), only work with one keyboard layout (US, when I also need it to work with Canadian multilingual), and it's not clear whether, at the end of that, the right command key continues to do its normal job once it is assigned as the compose key. (I accept that losing the right control key function would not be the end of the world.)

is there a simpler and less finicky solution for getting a compose key on a Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.