Coming from Android. Need some help with SMS/MSS

Reaction score
Hello all,
Been a long time android user (since 2007 or before) but have switch over!
Somethings I like, somethings I don't.

My biggest hurdle is I can't have my phone at work but need to be able to receive/reply/send text messages.

On Android I was using and app called PhoneLeash (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gearandroid.phoneleashfree&hl=en) for a while and then switch over to Motorola Connect (which used a Chrome Extension).

With PhoneLeash, the app would send an incoming text to my email, and then I was able to reply to it by replying to the email.

I think this is what I need.

Anyone know of an app that does this? I know Messages does, but you have to have a Mac which I don't at work.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums

What do you have at work that you can receive messages on? And assuming it's a Windows PC, which version of Windows is on it? And lastly, which iPhone do you own?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you can do what you want by using iCloud. It's an easy setup for your Mac at home and the iPhone, however, it may get a bit complicated trying to set it up on the PC at work. First, take a look at this set of instructions for the Mac and iPhone.

Now, let's see how we can get iCloud setup on your Windows 7 PC at work..... OK, take a look at this Apple KB article on how to setup iCloud on your Windows 7 PC.

With iCloud setup correctly on your iPhone, Mac, and PC, you should be able to sign in to your iCloud account from work on the PC and get all your messages. At least in theory it should work. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
I think the really problem is I need Apple Messenger on a PC. Can you get that on a PC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you mean the Apple Messages app since there is no Apple Messenger. The Apple Messages app is not available for the PC. Did you try what I suggested above or is that too complex to setup?

OP
L
Reaction score
Link 1 Specifies:
Enable SMS / MMS Sending / Receiving On Mac
Step 1: Launch the Messages app and head over to Messages > Preferences.

I don't think there is a Messages app for the PC.

From what I read it takes iMessage(Mac), Messages App(iPhone), and iCloud (both). The only part I don't have is iMessage for PC.

Thoughts? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need a messages app for your PC. If you followed the directions in the links, you should be able to sign into iCloud from your PC and get your messages that way. As I said above, at least in theory it should work. I don't know of any other way to do it as you would like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't need a messages app for your PC. If you followed the directions in the links, you should be able to sign into iCloud from your PC and get your messages that way. As I said above, at least in theory it should work. I don't know of any other way to do it as you would like.

I think the issue is that there is nowhere to view or reply to messages within the iCloud interface (either online or on PC)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the issue is that there is nowhere to view or reply to messages within the iCloud interface (either online or on PC)

Thanks. I don't think then that the OP is going to be able to get his messages the way he wants.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.