• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Combo or Superdrive?

E

evian

iMac Combo or Superdrive?

Hey everyone! I hope you can give me some input. I am going to get an imac G5 later on today, but I'm in two minds about which one to get. The 20 inch is out of my price range, so thats a "no". That leaves the 17 inch. but which? :D The combo or the superdrive. The superdrive is 200 dollars more than the combo, but am I getting a lot more? I can see the processor is higher and I get a dvd-r, but would you say it's worth paying the extra 200 dollars for these things? or is it not worth it?

many thanks in advance for your time. :p

OP
M

meltbanana314

The question is, do you think you will be burning a lot of movies on DVD or not? If you are, then go for the SuperDrive. If not, then don't.

Some people would suggest backing up files to DVD, but it's not really necessary for people who have extra space on their iPods for home directory backups.

OP
E

evian

thanks for the reply banana.

burning dvds? hmmm... does this mean I can pick a dvd movie from my shelf, stick it in the drive and make a copy of it onto another disk? or does it mean I can copy movies that I've download: avi, mpegs..etc.. onto a disk and watch them on a regular dvd player. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Get a combo drive and if you feel the need to burn dvd's at another time then get a faster external drive for less money

OP
M

meltbanana314

evian said:
thanks for the reply banana.

burning dvds? hmmm... does this mean I can pick a dvd movie from my shelf, stick it in the drive and make a copy of it onto another disk? or does it mean I can copy movies that I've download: avi, mpegs..etc.. onto a disk and watch them on a regular dvd player. :D

Apple wants people to use it for making DVDs with with your own film footage (like family videos) through iMovie and iDVD. But, you can use an application called Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/) to rip your DVDs to mpegs (never use AVI) and burn them (you know, for 'backups'), and I think you can also download mpeg files and burn them to DVD as well.

OP
E

evian

thanks for the feedback dudes. I've decided to go for the combo drive. The dvd writer sounds good, but it's probably wasted on me. I doubt i'd use it much! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.