Clunky SuperDrive??

Reaction score
When I put a DVD in my MacBook, the drive makes a clunky noise. It also makes the same type noise when it's ejected. Is this normal? How much noise does a SuperDrive make normally? It seems excessive to me. I would feel uncomfortable putting a disk in the drive in a quiet place. It's that noisy. I've never had a slot-loading drive before, so I don't know what's normal.

*edit* The discs play fine and they don't make noise while in the drive. It only occurs when the disc is inserted and ejected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
the drive in my mbp is extremely loud.

ive learned to deal with it, but it sounds terrible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
mine does that too.. and it has just started to not play certain DVDs entirely..? it will think abt it for a bit and it spins, but then it spits the dvd out again... i think i will take it to the genius bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
yeah, that's normal for it to make that noise. It's probably just the mechanism grabbing the disc and moving it into the drive properly.

For some reason, the drive noise always reminds me of Flanders saying something like "diddily diddily"..... yeah, I pick up some really strange things :p

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I just can't imagine how something that nasty sounding would be acceptable.

I guess it's under warranty if it starts to act up. I just got this Mac and I don't want to send it back already. Unfortunately, there are no Apple stores anywhere near me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
One thing i notice though... becaue the macbook can be really quiet at times when no fans are going the sound is more noticable, on my pc you dont notice the drives tray coming out as much because the pc as a loud fan that drowns the drive out, theres not much to drown out the drive on the macbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.