Clues as to why my MacBook Pro shuts itself down

awj

Reaction score
Last weekend I did a complete reinstall of the OS on my MacBook Pro - removed existing partitions (it used to run Windows / Boot Camp) and reinstalled from Disk Utility. Aside from a handful of applications my system is pristine.

But since doing this my system has started shutting down of its own accord. I can be in the middle of writing an email, browsing the web - simple tasks, nothing which even has the fan going. And suddenly the shutdown process takes over. It's happened while on battery and, I'm pretty sure I've also had it on mains power when this has happened.

It doesn't suddenly turn off, it does go through the shut-down process as if I had chosen to do this.

The MacBook is a late 2013 model, so it's no spring chicken, but I had the main board replaced about 4.5 years ago. I used the laptop as my work and personal machine until about 2 months ago, so it would be on all day, every day. At the start of this year I was given a new laptop from my work so my MacBook has been used only occasionally. Then I decided to do the whole thorough drive-cleaning thing, and then it started shutting down.

So while it could be hardware-related (perhaps caused by being used a lot less?), I'm also suspicious that this has started since I re-staged the system.

Is there some way I can ask the OS for recent events like this? For example, I know that Windows has the Event Viewer - is there a Mac equivalent or some way of having it report to me on such events that could indicate whether these shut-downs are hardware- or software-related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In the Utilities folder there is a utility called Console that will let you look at the various logs the system keeps about events like that. May or may not be helpful, but that's where you can start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would also suggest resetting the SMC and the NVRAM. It won't hurt and it will clear out and reset things.

Here is an article on how to do the resets:

Lisa

OP
A

awj

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. Resetting the SMC has made no difference. The linked page also suggests resetting the PRAM using CMD + Shift + P + R but this doesn't seem to do anything. For example, the page says...

Release the keys once you see the Apple logo for the second time, hear the second startup time, or after 20 seconds.

...but none of those happen, the notebook simply starts as normal. Is there another way to reset the PRAM? Was the key combination different on older MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a bit tricky. This is what I do - I shut down my mac then use one hand to hold down the Option + Command press the power button and quickly use my other hand to press the P + R keys. Keep holding the keys down - the screen will be black and you should see the apple logo usually twice - it is a much longer process than you will think it is and you will have to hold down the keys for a bit.

If your mac just starts up quickly do it again.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thats a great suggestion Lisa. Although I have done this a few times it's obviously awkward to do and usually takes a few tries for me as well.

OP
A

awj

Reaction score
Thanks Lisa - I realised where i was going wrong...

1617093340533.png
The guide instructed me to use Cmd + Shift. That had no effect, whereas using Cmd + Option I heard the startup sound twice, so it evidently worked.

I'll need to monitor the MacBook over the next several evenings to see if the shut-downs are still occurring.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Where did you get that instruction guide from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. Never assume the article is correct! My bad!

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Lisa. You are not to blame. The article was wrong but your post number 5 correctly set out what the proper sequence was. And it worked.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lisa. You are not to blame. The article was wrong but your post number 5 correctly set out what the proper sequence was. And it worked.

Ian

That reminds me of something I read the other day which deserves repeating I guess:
“Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet.” — Abraham Lincoln

I guess he was right... :rolleyes: ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian - I know that but truthfully I did not catch it. I did a reset on my MBP's NVRAM to see what I did and how I could explain it better. I found myself typing out what I do automatically and never realized the directions in the article were wrong.

And Patrick is correct - can't believe all that you read. :giggle:

Lisa

OP
A

awj

Reaction score
It's been almost a week now, with daily use of my MacBook, and since resetting PRAM there have been no 'autonomous shutdowns'.

Thanks for your help, guys.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's been almost a week now, with daily use of my MacBook, and since resetting PRAM there have been no 'autonomous shutdowns'.

Brilliant!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Thanks for posting back with the good results.

It seems that resetting the PRAM can be a real solution to a lot of Mac ills.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.