Closing the iBook but still connected?

Reaction score
is there a way to close my ibook and still have the wireless internet connection still live? Everytime i close it... i get disconnected and have to connect again. please let me konw thatnks

L

Lasha

I believe there is a way where you can set your iBook to automatically connect to the signal on resume from sleep, or bootup...Check into that in the Airport options.

D

Desolate One

I don't have that problem at all. As soon as I open her back up iChat reconnects as well as other services I had been running pre-sleep. It must be a setting as Lasha said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you go to 'System Preferences' -> 'Network -> Airport Setting' there's an option called 'By default join:'.
In the drop down box, select the network it should join and you should be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you cannnot have it retain the connection while the iBook is closed (Unless you download software to disable system sleeping which could destroy your iBook) but changing those settings will make the connection pick up automatically and quicker upon waking

A

amartins02

Yea I thought I saw on another post that you shouldn't keep it running with the lid closed because it vents through the keyboard. Right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep, there was a picture of an iBook that someone had kept on with the lid closed: It was a big smoldering leap of plastic by the time he got back home...

I

iDVFH.

the only time reconnecting would bother me was if I still had dial-up..it would be a pain but if you have a DSL or Cable..what's 5 seconds? And if your expecting messages from your friends ..if you really wanted the message you would have stayed there and waited for it...lol :cool:

A

amartins02

I gues sometimes its useful if your downloading something and want to just close the lid. But, just lean the screen as close to the keyboard without triggering the mechanism and that way the screen will shut off after so many minutes and now one can see your screen

R

Rcadden

I think that's stupid, as well. When I leave for work in the morning or whatever, I close the lid out of habit, and it disconnects everything. Sucks if I wanted to be downloading something, or in my case, I like to leave the messenger connected all the time so I can come home and get messages from friends. Yeah it only takes a few seconds to reconnect but it's still a pita.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.