Close Screen but only turn off monitor

M

menace3054

i want to clsoe the screen, but now turn it on standy. is there a way to make it so it only turns off the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Yup... this product does just that!

Product Description: NoSleep
Enables Apple PowerBooks and iBooks to run with closed lid. It provied a menu extra to enabled and disable automatic sleep on lid close. NoSleep requires to patch the Mac OS X system with a new kernel. Your system is automatically detected and a link to the patch is provided.

OP
M

menace3054

hey i installed that no sleep and it says youll have to dl a patch and there is no patch available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Also keep in mind that if you're wanting to do this because you're using an external monitor, then you don't need any software. Simply plug in your external monitor and mouse, and close the lid. It will fall asleep and then detect the display and wake back up, while leaving the laptop's LCD off.

OP
M

menace3054

i want to do it so i can leave my comp on, but close my screen. i dont like leaving it open when im not using it for some reason

OP
M

menace3054

i found this while i was searching "Recently I was at an event that was co-sponsored by Apple, and they had a PowerBook rep there. So I wen tand asked him outright, "Why dosen't the powerbook have this feature?

His answer was somewhat scary. He explained that the because the Apple laptop line is designed to do a majority of its cooling through the keyboard (if you lift up the keyboard, you'll notice the heatsink) this feature will probably be never included in any future release. If the lid is closed, and the machine is running as normal, it will cause the computer to overheat, because having the lid closed prevents proper closing.

So a word of advice, only use this if you absolutely have too. If you use it for a short period of time, you'll probably be alright. But if you're going to forget about it, I'd rather my computer just go to sleep rather than risk it overheating and cooking itself. More Info
"

whether its true or not, im not taking a chance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
That's true actually. So don't take chances with ur powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is true.

The AppleStore near me used to have the screens closed on powerbooks hooked up to the LCDs but they stopped that after a few of them fried

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
menace3054 said:
i want to do it so i can leave my comp on, but close my screen. i dont like leaving it open when im not using it for some reason

I never used the no sleep application personally, so can't give you any support. But as the other users said, I would advice you placing your powerbook directly in front of an air-con unit when closed and in use.

You sound more worried of dropping something between the keyboard than anything... maybe a iSkin would suit you better. This way you can keep using your have it open as normal, keep on using it without worry, whist keeping it cool... they look great too!

Use "No Sleep" at your own risk. I'm/We are not responsible for your fried PowerBook.

OP
M

menace3054

I have that iskin thingy, i got it from radtech.us. im just lazy... i dont like waiting the few seconds it takes to turn back on heh. oh well im too scared to even take this thing out of the house, i almost cried when i found a dead pixel, so theres no way ill risk frying the thing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.