Close minimized finder windows without opening them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I've searched, but couldn't find my issue and I'm a little embarrassed about it because it's likely to be so simple.

When I minimize finder (and some other) windows to the dock, I can't seem to close them from the dock without opening them (maximizing) first. It seems that this should be able to be done with a shortcut or some finger sequence on the trackpad. I've looked at all the gestures on the trackpad and the dock in Settings, but can't see what I need. I've had my Macbook Pro for several years and I've learned lots, but this evades me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Diane

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This may not be exactly what you are after but you can close the application that is running the minimised windows without opening them by pressing Command and Tab. This will show all running apps, you can let go of the Tab button now, hover the cursor over the app you want to quit (it will highlight) and while still holding Command press Q. Obviously this will not work if you need to keep the app working but close an active window created by that app, for example if you had 4 Word documents open and you wanted to close three minimised docs but leave the other one open.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but that seems like even more steps. I just figured I missed something. I'll keep on the way I've been doing it.

Thanks again.

Diane

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Diane you made me look and this is what I found; http://www.macworld.com/article/2048857/10-tips-for-managing-minimized-windows.html
This page has a number of tips I did not know myself so thanks for making me search.
While many of these tips are really useful unfortunately it confirms that the only app that allows closing of minimised windows is MS Word something i didn't know and very handy. Either way it's a good read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks, but that seems like even more steps. I just figured I missed something. I'll keep on the way I've been doing it.

Click Dock icon (opening the window) then Command-W ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Thanks for the link. It is a useful page. It just seemed to me I saw someone close from the dock, but perhaps I imagined it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes That's exactly what I do. "Click Dock icon (opening the window) then Command-W" but I seem to remember someone just choosing "close" from the dock, but I guess I am dreaming.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Diane

You may have been "dreaming", or otherwise; but maybe what you saw was the ability to quit an app from the Dock (say, Safari to iTunes) by Right Clicking > Quit.

Unfortunately, this only applies to open apps in the Dock, not minimised windows.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.