Close call, nearly lost macbook on the bus, was handed in! But a talk about 'FIND MY'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
I'll cut to the chase... A long weekend left me leaving my laptop on the bus.
Got back to realize and that was it i went in panic mode.

I knew it was on the bus so called their depot and they said all I can do it sit back hold tight and hope that someone hands it in and they will let me know by 7pm.

Now I knew I had FIND MY software for my phone, but was not sure about my MAC. Logged on an old net book and nope i DID NOT!

I am going to get it now.

But what if my mac was not connected to the internet?

Is there any other way?

Because without the internet there's no way to give a signal out?

Is there any other way??

M

MacInWin

Nope, but the likelihood that someone would want to use the MBP without any internet connection is very, very low. So pretty much as soon as it is powered on, it will try to connect.

Good dodge of a nasty bullet, though!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
What's a MBP? (macbook pro)?

What lets say if they somehow get it, surely they would want to wipe it clean? If they had the skills to do so?

Will it alert me somehow by say email that someone was trying, or was in fact using my macbook??? And let me know where it is??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What's a MBP? (macbook pro)?

What lets say if they somehow get it, surely they would want to wipe it clean? If they had the skills to do so?

Will it alert me somehow by say email that someone was trying, or was in fact using my macbook??? And let me know where it is??

Hello - sorry for you lost - :( I'm assuming that you own a MBPro (Macbook Pro) or MBAir - which one was lost?

Just a few questions that might help to respond to your concerns: 1) What OS X is installed on the device; 2) Do you have a password on the laptop? and 3) Is 'Find my iDevice' activated on your computer?

As you've already stated, the laptop will have to be on a Wi-Fi network for the location feature to work. Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
Hi Dave.
I have it back now thankfully. A truly good soul handed it in to the bus driver :)

I have 10.7.5 OSX.... I have a password yes and I am looking to get FIND MY MAC installed... though not sure where to get it??

It's such a shame that the FIND MY DEVICE only works on wifi.

If someone manages to log into a stolen or found laptop, with no connection to the internet, all they have to do is wipe your computer am I correct? And they have a pretty good laptop...

(I think we are safe as the majority of people would hand it in, apparently someone told me it was 2/3s of the population would hand it in.

So that's good!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
I was also going to say, I am actually going to get a sticker/metal sticker and stick it to my mac that says 'IF FOUND PLEASE CALL ETC'..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Dave.
I have it back now thankfully. A truly good soul handed it in to the bus driver :)

I have 10.7.5 OSX.... I have a password yes and I am looking to get FIND MY MAC installed... though not sure where to get it??

It's such a shame that the FIND MY DEVICE only works on wifi.

Hi again - congrats on getting your laptop back! :)

As to setting up 'Find My iPhone' (applies to any iDevice or OS X computer), plenty of guides on the web, such as HERE; I was not sure if your older OS would qualify but seems the first version to offer this option @ least from the link,

But for a quick description w/ some screen captures from my MBPro. First, go into 'System Preferences' and select iCloud, then tick off 'Find My Mac' (of course, you need an iCloud account; and you can consider the other items listed). Second, go to your iCloud account and sign in (the 2nd pic below is the opening screen). Finally, select 'Find My iPhone' - a map of the location of your registered devices will appear (cropped below) - I have two (MBPro & iPad Air 2); from there, you have a number of options from playing a sound, sending a message, locking the machine, and even erasing its contents.

My wife has her own iCloud account and her Mini iPad & iPhone are listed - she leaves the iPad all around the house and never remembers where, so I've shown her how to go to her iMac and send a sound to her Mini - she just walks around the house to find it! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.04.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.05.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.07.06 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.