Clipboards, What Clipboards?

S

Sedacc9

Newbie Question: I'm fairly new to computers. I've got a 1.25 G4 powerbook , 1 gig ram, blah, blah ,blah. But what I don't know is What the @#$! is the cliboard and how do I use it? Apple help comes up empty under a general search for "Clipboards"; Applecare comes up empty, yet mysteriosly every once in a while when I'm working with images they show up there, and yet I don't seem to be able to move them from the clip board, either to transfer or Delete. A little Comp. 101, if you please would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The Clipboard is a special file or memory area (buffer) where data is stored temporarily before being copied to another location.

When you issue the Copy or Cut command the contents is placed on the Clipboard. When you issue the Paste command the contents of the Clipboard is copied to its destination.

The Clipboard holds one item at a time and is cleared when the system is turned off.

There is a limit to the size of the item that can be copied/cut and pasted, but I don't know what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
All computers have some type of clipboard as far as I know. You can download something like CopyPaste from ScriptSoftware.com that allows you to have multiple clipboards, which is really handy when you do a lot of copying and pasting back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Sedacc9@rogers. said:
Newbie Question: I'm fairly new to computers. I've got a 1.25 G4 powerbook , 1 gig ram, blah, blah ,blah. But what I don't know is What the @#$! is the cliboard and how do I use it? Apple help comes up empty under a general search for "Clipboards".
A Classic Mac deal: wanna see the clipboard before pasting? Yup, in the Finder under Edit. Good question! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
witeshark said:
wanna see the clipboard before pasting? in the Finder under Edit. :)

hey! I never knew that. Pretty cool!

OP
S

Sedacc9

End of thread

Thankyou everyone. The information has cleared up my confusion. Every once in a while I just have to remember that some things in life and computers are just - there - in the background, doing what they do for a reason. Hope I can return the favor some day.

Sedacc9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.