Clean Yosemite install seems to be the answer ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
......... for virtually EVERY ill I've encountered.

For the record, my computer running a clean installation of Yosemite has not had one single issue that plagued me after the initial upgrade.

I haven't bothered upgrading to 10.10.1 because none of the issues it is supposed to address have occurred even once since the clean instal was completed at the Apple Store. Yes, this IS a new machine, but it is functionally identical in every way. Not a single wifi dropout, no issues with mail, or any other programs. The computer is running cool, and it is FAR more responsive than it ever was with mavericks.

I'm beginning to think that if I had the Apple store do a clean install in the first place, they wouldn't have had to replace the computer. Bear in mind that the machine was less than a year old, and had MAYBE 400 hours of total use. They NEVER actually found any hardware issues after multiple diagnostic checks at the repair facility AND at the Apple store. None of those diagnostics were performed on a "clean" computer.

When I began restoring from my CCC back up, I did it in small increments and installed NO PROGRAMS from the back-up, only text files, bookmarks, pictures and music. All I ever use on here now is TexEdit, iPhoto, iTunes and Safari (with a couple of plug-ins).

I'm mentioning this because there are people that are having issues like I was after the upgrade and are going to install 10.10.1 and may not actually need to. Personally, I have NO INTENTION of EVER upgrading ANYTHING again unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. My computer is running like a swiss watch with 10.10.

The point of this is just to say that MAYBE a clean install is all you need. There are apparently a LOT of folks like me that don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of their Macs, so this is for them I guess.

ken

M

MacInWin

Hemp, I made a comment about the differences between 10.10 and 10.10.1 in another thread where you also said you had no plans to go to 10.10.1. That is an UPDATE, not an UPGRADE. Going from Mavericks (10.9) to Yosemite (10.10) was a major upGRADE and much more risky. Going from 10.10.0 to 10.10.1 only involves a few files that need to be updated to fix a bug. It's great you don't feel you need them, but when you do decide you need 10.10.x, it's going to install everything from 10.10.0 to 10.10.x anyway.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Jake,

I here ya, I DO get the difference between update and upgrade, my point was merely that regardless how benign the upDATE is, if it isn't necessary, don't DO it. On another thread, I mentioned that because it's free, many folks like me, will tend to just go for it because they assume it's the right thing to do. Until I began this little debacle, I had NO IDEA just how little I actually knew about the computer, obviously because at the time, I had no issues.

I'm PRESENTLY having NONE of the issues that have been documented re: the upGRADE to 10.10.0 so there is NO WAY I'm messing with success.

You obviously know your way around a Mac VERY well, so these things are second nature for you.

Forgive me if I'm just a tad gun shy at this point LOL

ken

M

MacInWin

Gun shy I can understand! Just wanted you to be aware that these minor updates are not as radical as the upgrades are, so they have less risk. Sometimes what Apple bundles into them are relatively important security fixes, so avoiding them could leave you at some risk. But that's a decision you have to make when the fixes are released.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Someone has started the rumor that the next version of OS X (after Yosemite) is going to be called "Death Valley" in keeping up with the beautiful colorful California (left coast) names. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.